We Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    Some wouldn't take passport? That's just stupid . As Tinyp3nis pointed out, they are usually the most 'respectd' IDs anywhere (well not in US I guess).
    You have to understand that grocery store clerks in the US are very unlikely to have ever seen a passport, so them accepting it is probably a long shot. A laminated piece of plastic with "Driver's License" stamped on it they are quite familiar with, however.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Rules are rules.

I wouldn't risk getting fired and having a $1000 fine just because you needed to smoke.

I would have done the exact same thing as that guy did. Sorry, but life's a *****.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
        Happy Birthday

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Rules are rules.

I wouldn't risk getting fired and having a $1000 fine just because you needed to smoke.
        You're misunderstanding my point; I'm not saying that he should have risked it, my problem is that there was no risk involved in the first place.

NO policeman would ever fine him that $1000 for selling 2 minutes early. Even if one did, he could easily have gotten out of it in court. Furthermore, no policeman would stage a sting with that kind of catch. I say that because I know cops, and because I'm currently training to be one.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

You're misunderstanding my point; I'm not saying that he should have risked it, my problem is that there was no risk involved in the first place.

NO policeman would ever fine him that $1000 for selling 2 minutes early. Even if one did, he could easily have gotten out of it in court. Furthermore, no policeman would stage a sting with that kind of catch. I say that because I know cops, and because I'm currently training to be one.

Bull****! He WOULDN'T have gotten out of it in court! It doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 years, if you SELL, you are GUILTY! It's a strict liability crime.

And he wasn't worried about the cops most likely either. Getting fired is an internal policy (at least where I worked... and they'd never hire you again as well).

Like I said, I would have done the exact same thing. I don't care what the 'risk' was. The risk did exist, no matter how much you protest that it does not.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Bull****! He WOULDN'T have gotten out of it in court! It doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 years, if you SELL, you are GUILTY!
            Unless his defense is that his watch read 12:00, as was already mentioned on this thread.

The risk did exist, no matter how much you protest that it does not.
            Well how can I respond to that?
            Unbelievable!

Comment

it is absurd but what is more absurd is the fact that if the man sold you the smokes he might have gotten in trouble.
              For your photo needs:
              http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
                it is absurd but what is more absurd is the fact that if the man sold you the smokes he might have gotten in trouble.
                Nope.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

The real issue here is that we have to have this conversation in the first place. I mean, come on - the government setting age limits on who can smoke a cigarette? Jesus Christ? If the justification is that they kill you, then shouldn't they ban them for everyone?

No, "underage" (which is a misnomer anyway - underage as opposed to what?) smoking is a parenting problem, not a government problem. If the parents don't give a ****, why should the government? And before someone trots out the argument that parents are letting kids harm themselves, the same argument would hold true with allowing kids to take martial arts, play competitive sports, ride a bicycle in the street, and any number of other things. Do those things need age limits too?
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unless his defense is that his watch read 12:00, as was already mentioned on this thread.

He couldn't have used that as a defense, DUH! The store closes at 12:00. If that store was anything like my store, the manager is up at the front during closing.

Nope.

Says a man who (it seems) has never worked in retail dealing with age specific items. I've seen people get fired for selling to people who were under 18 (and only by a few days, IIRC).

David: NO, that ISN'T the issue, and stop pimping your moral views on the government to try to make it the issue.

--

Rules are rules. I didn't violate them when I was working at CVS, and I don't expect any other sales guy to.

Comment

David: NO, that ISN'T the issue
                      Well, if potential danger to children isn't the issue, then what possible argument do you have for an age limit for cigarettes? Surely you don't support a law just for the mere exercise of power?
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're an idiot, David .

The issue ISN'T THE JUSTIFICATION OF AGE LIMITS ON SMOKING!

It's the application of those limits by retail clerks, you numbnut!

Comment

No, dumbass, my post was an attack on the age limits, period. I took your post as an implication that the age limits had nothing to do with the danger of cigarettes. If I misunderstood you, well, I really don't care.

Comment

Yes, that is your problem. You stray into threads like a child entering the room in the middle of story who blabs on about what the story SHOULD be instead of what it IS. It's called reading the damned opening post and not spouting off on whatever sounds good to you at that moment in time.

I don't give a **** about your post, because it had nothing to do with anything.
                            Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; April 23, 2003, 23:11.

Comment

He couldn't have used that as a defense, DUH! The store closes at 12:00. If that store was anything like my store, the manager is up at the front during closing.

Nope.

Says a man who (it seems) has never worked in retail dealing with age specific items. I've seen people get fired for selling to people who were under 18 (and only by a few days, IIRC).

David: NO, that ISN'T the issue, and stop pimping your moral views on the government to try to make it the issue.

--

Rules are rules. I didn't violate them when I was working at CVS, and I don't expect any other sales guy to.
                              I think some of you guys are over analyzing the situation.

I betcha $100 that things such as Imran mentioned recently wasnt going thru the man's head. He probably thought "Hmmm I CAN still get in trouble for selling a ciggy to this punkass. Hell no" and that probably was it.

But good reasoning Imran anyway.

I would have cussed the ****er off, but then again I never had problem buying ciggarettes even when I was underaged, so I probably wouldnt have been in that situation.
                              :-p

Comment

Yes, that is your problem. You stray into threads like a child entering the room in the middle of story who blabs on about what the story SHOULD be instead of what it IS. It's called reading the damned opening post and not spouting off on whatever sounds good to you at that moment in time.

I don't give a **** about your post, because it had nothing to do with anything.
                                Primary objective - amusing myself: Achieved
                                Secondary objective - getting someone riled up: Achieved

Comment

Working...
                                X