Mouse Gone Crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse Gone Crazy!

I have one of those Microsoft red Intellimouse Explorer mice.

In the past week, every 30 minutes or so, it simply stopped working for 5-10 seconds. When I turn it over, none of those red laser(or whatever) lights are working.

Now things got worse. It doesnt work for half of the time, then the lights start flickering and it starts working again for a few seconds.

Tofay, for the first time, I got a "USB device not recognized" message from Windows. I "moved" the mouse to another USB port, but it didnt work at all.

I plugged it to it's original USB port, it worked for a few seconds and dropped dead.

When I go to the Microsoft Mouse thingie that came with the drivers, in the Hardware tab, it shows no devices.

So the situation is dire.

How do I figure out whether the problem is with the mouse, or with the USB thingie? And how do I fix it? I'm tired of tabbing my way through internet pages.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Important rule, when buying a new computer mouse:

Never buy a Microsoft mouse... they all suck

EDIT:

For how long have you had that mouse? Did you just reformat your HD or something a few weeks ago?
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

*looks at mouse*

doh!

I have a microsoft optical mouse. so far it has been working great. I have had it for almost a year I think.

Comment

I have this one for roughly a year and a half.

And no, I didnt reformat anything. Though I plan to.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Hmm. It's not completely dead. Sometimes it flickers for a few seconds and then dies again.

Comment

Ahh... that's the answer... it KNOWS about your plans on killing it, so it's revolting against you

Did you install any new programs lately?

Comment

Did you install any new programs lately?

I dont think so...
              At least nothing major.

Comment

Send it back to the shop where you got it and get it fixed. The optical Intellimouse Explorer is perhaps the best mouse out there and it's worth having a working one.
                "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Meh. If the shop had still existed...

Comment

Oh...
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I connected the mouse to the second USB port again and it still doesnt work.

Can this be a proof that the problem is with the mouse? I really dont want to spend 30$(or whatever the current price) is on a new mouse to discover it's a problem with the USB.

Comment

Can't you borrow a mouse from a friend, to test it?

Btw Eli, can you get on ICQ now, I've got to talk about the PBEM game...

Comment

Yes, but you'll have to send the first message, I cant find a way to do it with the keyboard.

Comment

Argh. I cant reply either. Stupid ICQ.

Comment

Can you PM me instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X