No announcement yet.

Greatest month ever! (Baseball thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest month ever! (Baseball thread)

I've been having a pretty good month. Two weeks ago, I found out I won a national writing contest. Last Friday, I found out that I'm going to Japan on the JET program. Now I have this to brighten my life...

Royals off to majors' best start since '90

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Since the first day of spring training, Kansas City manager Tony Pena has preached one thing to his Royals: Believe in yourselves.

Looks like the message sunk in.

Kansas City extended baseball's best start in 13 years Saturday as Raul Ibanez and Michael Tucker hit two-run homers Saturday, leading the Royals to a 5-2 win over the Cleveland Indians.

An unlikely 9-0, the Royals are the majors' only undefeated team and are the first club since the 1990 Cincinnati Reds to win its first nine games. Those Reds went on to win the World Series.

It would be hard to imagine the small-market Royals duplicating that, but no one predicted their fast start, either -- especially after they went 62-100 last season.

"I know we've surprised a lot of people," Pena said. "But we worked so hard this spring. I'm probably the only one not surprised."

It's a good time to be me!
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Enjoy it while you can drake, cause it won't last.....

Poor, poor KC.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Enjoy it while you can drake, cause it won't last.....

Don't I know it...

The Yanks will probably have bought up all the Royals' talent by mid-season.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Enjoy your fast start... there is nothing more exciting for a baseball fan to have his team go on such a streak to the start the season. Hope springs eternal... but it's a long season.

Kerry Wood pitched excellent today for the Cubs, and they beat Pitt 4 - 0.

Yes, hope does spring eternal
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Cubs and Bosox fans are the only people us Royals fans can truly pity. The Royals may be hopelessly outmatched in today's game, but at least they have won a World Series in my lifetime.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

kansas city hasn't been playing exactly stellar teams..... then again beltran has been on the dl since opening day so they've got another card up their sleeves

meanwhile i can only remember a few years during my life when the yankees haven't won a world series
            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

kansas city hasn't been playing exactly stellar teams.....

That's what happens when you play in the AL Central.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Minny and Chicago are solid teams... Detroit sucks
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Detroit sucks

God bless the Tigers! They're the only thing keeping the Royals out of the cellar most years.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

After Kansas swept the White Sox to start the season, playing Detroit was a great pleasure
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Two thoughts:

1) The last team to start this good (the '90 Reds) won the Series.

2) KC might actually do the smart thing for a change and give Sweeney a DAMN CONTRACT if they can keep this up. (They can afford him; you know it and I know it.)

May the Royals have the pleasure of meeting their end against the Yankees in the ALCS.

(We would be right there in the annals of unsmirched records... if Hammond and Osuna hadn't blow that one Saturday game against the DEVIL RAYS...)
                      CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                      Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                      Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                      Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

2) KC might actually do the smart thing for a change and give Sweeney a DAMN CONTRACT if they can keep this up. (They can afford him; you know it and I know it.)

I can only hope...

BTW, feel free to talk about other MLB action. I think we've pretty well established that the Royals are the best team in baseball, so let's talk about the lesser teams...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Considering how many analysts were picking the Royals to lose 100 games again this year, it's worth asking: what's the worst record ever by a team that started a season 9-0? That would give us some kind of a lower bound on what to expect the rest of the way.
                          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

what's the worst record ever by a team that started a season 9-0?

The 1966 Cleveland Indians started out 10-0 and ended up at 81-81 (no postseason). That's the worst I could find, so it looks like the Royals will at least finish above .500 this year.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Astros going all the way (Oswalt will get cy young)

Yankees will win 90+ games for sure, Oakland will too

No NL East will break .500

Every team that has lost to KC so far will not break .500

D-backs won't make playoffs

If the Red Sox can figure out how to play baseball (eg not by committee) they'll get the AL wild card
                              I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X