Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New species of giant squid discovered! Colossal Squid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what ever happened to Giant Squid? He used to post here quite a bit.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

look at the previous page.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

imagine the calamari you could make... im for it!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

He posted in this thread.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Just imagine the smell in that room where they keep it.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
              Anyone notice that most of the bits of this squid they have found have been inside sperm whales. Scary it might be but something else still eats it.
              thats only two and these could just be the dumb kids that got cocky ... quite easy to imagine the huge ones are down there having a sperm whale for breakfast then 2 for lunch
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

How rare must those beasts be when this is only the second one caught so far, perhaps they are smart too, and this one was broken hearted teenager and the only way for it to commit suicide is to give itself to human fishermen, if we have gay animals why shouldn't we have suicidal ones too
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I don't see how a giant squid could kill a sperm whale, no matter how large it is. They're all roughly the consistency of mucus, which means that a sperm whale would be able to swallow their limbs directly (squid arms have been found, unchewed, in the gullet of sperm whales before now).

As for eating a sperm whale, the sheer task of penetrating the tough outer layer of skin and blubber would be impossible for the squid's beak.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

oh great. Im sure some evolutionary guru is already in his basement making up some classification and evolution link for it, atleast until another is found (oops)

Anyway. no worries, unless you see big ass tentacles wrap around the deck of your ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                      I don't see how a giant squid could kill a sperm whale, no matter how large it is. They're all roughly the consistency of mucus, which means that a sperm whale would be able to swallow their limbs directly (squid arms have been found, unchewed, in the gullet of sperm whales before now).

As for eating a sperm whale, the sheer task of penetrating the tough outer layer of skin and blubber would be impossible for the squid's beak.
                      From this site.

We know the giant squid feeds on whales from eye-witness accounts. In October 1966, two lighthouse keepers at Danger Point, South Africa, observed a baby southern right whale under attack from a giant squid. For an hour and a half the monster clung to the whale trying to drown it as the whale's mother watched helplessly. "The little whale could stay down for 10 to 12 minutes, then come up. It would just have enough time to spout - only two or three seconds - and then down again." The squid finally won and the baby whale was never seen again.

Giant Squid have been seen in battle with adult whales too. In 1965, a Soviet whaler watched a battle between a squid and a 40 ton sperm whale. In this case neither were victorious. The strangled whale was found floating in the sea with the squid's tentacles wrapped around the whale's throat. The squid's severed head was found in the whale's stomach.

Sperm whales eat squid and originally it had been thought that such battles were the result of a sperm whale taking on a squid that was just to large too be an easy meal. The incident with the Brunswick suggests otherwise.

The Brunswick was a 15,000 ton auxiliary tanker owned by the Royal Norwegian Navy. In the 1930's it was attacked at least three times by giant squid. In each case the attack was deliberate as the squid would pull along side of the ship, pace it, then suddenly turn, run into the ship and wrap it's tentacles around the hull. The encounters were fatal for the squid. Since the animal was unable to get a good grip on the ship's steel surface, the animals slid off and fell into the ship's propellers.

Apparently, for some unknown reason, the Brunswick looked like a whale to the squids. This suggests that the sperm whale is not always the aggressor in the battles. In fact, though many sperm whales have been captured, few of their stomachs seemed to contain parts of giant squids.
                      The colossal squid discovered is believed to reach at least 25 meters in length upon maturity, compared to 18 meters for regular giant squids such as those discussed above. The colossal squid is also believed to be stronger and more muscular than giant squids are. A mature colossal squid is definately capable of grabbing a Sperm Whale and drowning it. The collosal squid also has a much sharper beak than the giant squid, which probably allows it rip chunks out of a Sperm Whale.

Comment

well maybe there is a good reason for whales to swim in pairs... btw I just read the sperm whale is the animal with the largest brain ever.

The sperm whale is the largest toothed whale and lives in pods. It grows to be about 50 feet (15 m) long. It lives at the surface but dives very deeply to catch the giant squid that it eats.

The sperm whale is a toothed whale that lives in pods. It has a huge brain that weighs about 20 pounds (9 kg); it is the largest brain of any animal

well it doesn't seem to help much against the humans...
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

That would be an awsome battle, one of the greatest encounters of nature we could ever witness. Too bad we'll probably never get to see it.
                          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Why not... just wait until you have a sperm whale vs a colossal squid on Jerry Springer show

Comment

and check this out for a colossal squid encounter

As I gazed, fascinated, a circle of green light glowed in my area of illumination. This green unwinking orb I suddenly realized was an eye. The surface of the water undulated with some strange disturbance. Gradually I realized that I was gazing at almost point-black range at a huge squid." Starkey walked the length the of the ship finding the tail at one end and the tentacles at the other. The ship was over one hundred and seventy five feet long.

now that would be some bad ass mofo... almost twice the length of a blue whale... and sperm whales could just say

Comment

Working...
                              X