No announcement yet.

Hate Crime Laws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C'mon, go back to my previous post. assualt with intent to kill, pre-meditated murder... Give me a break, when a person is beaten, killed or property vandalized with the intent of terrifying a group of people their is a crime done beyond the simple physical act.

Comment

Law distinguishes between several types of murder anyway like gsmoove says. I don't know all the english expressions but e.g. killing someone because you drive recklessly is punished less hard then going after someone on purpose to get rid of him/her. So why shouldn't a crime with disgusting feelings of hate behind it not be punished harder?

Comment

Originally posted by mapfi
        Law distinguishes between several types of murder anyway like gsmoove says. I don't know all the english expressions but e.g. killing someone because you drive recklessly is punished less hard then going after someone on purpose to get rid of him/her. So why shouldn't a crime with disgusting feelings of hate behind it not be punished harder?
        theres manslaughter and murder.

manslaughter = no intent to kill (ie, accidently ran someone over, crime of passion)
        murder = malice aforethought (planned the killing)
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

here in switzerland manslaughter is split into two - you've got the accidently ran over someone not being the same type of crime like killing someone out of the blue (no planning) - the latter of course being punished harder but not as hard as murder. Then you always have the effects pof not being accountable or whatever you'd call it because of some psychological reasons or drugs for each of those crimes.

Comment

I thought in the states we have murder 1 and 2 and manslaughter 1 and 2, but I could be wrong, its all learned from TV

Comment

Originally posted by gsmoove23
              I thought in the states we have murder 1 and 2 and manslaughter 1 and 2, but I could be wrong, its all learned from TV
              there are murders to degrees (ie murder in the first degree).
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

We already deal with premeditation in crimes. What is this hate crime legislation supposed to accomplish? I don't see it deterring anyone if you only get a few more years. I guess you can say it is retribution, saying that this behavior isn't tolerated, but I think bumping the crime up to highest possible penality would accomplish that.

It depends on the state. Most states have Murder 1 and Murder 2 (2nd degree being the default). Some even have Murder 3. There are usually 2 manslaughters: Voluntary and Involuntary. But some states have Vehicular Manslaughter, etc., with different penalties.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  Hate Crimes? I think they are not a good idea.
                  *Trumpet Fanfare* It's ****ING OBVIOUS MAN!!!!!!!
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I'm against hate crime laws. Everyone knows that they will be just another tool to be used against the straight, white, Christian male. How many gay people will get tried for a hate crimes against straight people? How many blacks will get tried if they beat up a white guy? But anytime a white guy gets into a fist fight with a minority, or any time a straight guy gets into a fight with a gay guy (even if the straight guy doesn't know that the other dude is gay), that straight white guy will get slapped with a hate crime.

I'm going to law school. If these laws ever pass/ become a problem, I'm going to start a practice that defends people who are accused of Hate Crimes. Any crime is a hate crime. I wouldn't beat and rob someone because I love them. Besides, people have the right to be predjudiced. If someone takes their predjudice enough to kill someone, then they should be punished for the murder. Their personal beliefs are not on trial. This seems like just another way for minorities to "settle the score". I guarantee if these things pass, gays and minorities will be beaten ten times more than they are now, simply because they will apper to be a threat to the maority's liberty.
                    "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                      Some gays are just so tied up in indignant thought and irrational accusation that I have no problem calling them queers, or fagg0ts. Keep in mind those terms are not synonamous with being homosexual, just used to describe the few hyper liberal, schizo as*holes who have hijacked a huge portion of gay political culture as of late.
                      Alright, so what can I call Nationalist for being a whiney white christian boy. Honkey just doesn't work.

Comment

No, You can call me what you want. Then, when I bash your teeth in, I'll get an added hate crime charge thrown in.
                        "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

All hypothetical, off course

Comment

Nationalist,

You're going to law school? Then you know anyone can get slapped with an unfair charge but its up to the prosecutors to prove it. Not an easy task unless the dufus comes right out and says it, paints it on his victims forehead or burns a cross in someone's front yard, in which case he most certainly deserves what he gets.

Comment

Its true that people get slapped with false charges. However, I think that this will be biased and used against poor white people who can't necessarily afford a good attourney. This white guy gets into a fight with a black guy, gets slapped with a hate crime charge, and his ****ty public defender can't do anything about it because Jesse Jackson is outside the courthouse holding a press conference. You can't legally punish people for what they think.

Comment

Well you've created yourself a nice little world there, but it can work both ways you know.

And you can legally punish people for what they think when connected to a physical crime go to previous posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X