No announcement yet.

Hate Crime Laws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also dont see the reason for hate crime laws, but without refering to studies is hard to tell about their usefulness.

However these laws are ironic. They are supposed to protect the same way the people who want to be like everyone else but for doing that they underline their separativeness?

but without statistics, you cant tell.

Comment

Uber, there was this tale that the Spartans threw "defective children" over a cliff... where they were killed.

But this is disputed now.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
        However these laws are ironic. They are supposed to protect the same way the people who want to be like everyone else but for doing that they underline their separativeness?
        all minorities want to be special. thats nothing new.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

the name of the cliff is Kaiadas.
          still used in tales today.

however archeologists/historians say this was just a myth.

who knows.

Comment

Uber, there was this tale that the Spartans threw "defective children" over a cliff... where they were killed.

But this is disputed now.
            well, i based that on a show i saw on The History Channel here in the states, but i'll take the word of a Greek over the word of Americans studying the Greeks
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Well about Kaiadas cliff, it is common knowledge in all of the country. Even the last villager knows about it

(Be that myth or true)

Comment

Well about Kaiadas cliff, it is common knowledge in all of the country. Even the last villager knows about it

(Be that myth or true)
                curious (and off topic, indeed): did the city-state structure of ancient greece have any effects on modern greece? socially? economically? genetically?

i'm assuming that enough greeks migrated around greece to overcome anything, but it would be interesting indeed.

Comment

Why is the issue of hate crimes hijacked by people talking about homosexuality or minorities. It can be a crime done against a member of any group with the intent being to intimidate other members of that group. Its not intended to be a thought crime but a just punishment for mass intimidation. As for people trumping up charges, well they should take rape laws off the books too, and things like murder with intent, conspiracy charges...

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

curious (and off topic, indeed): did the city-state structure of ancient greece have any effects on modern greece? socially? economically? genetically?

i'm assuming that enough greeks migrated around greece to overcome anything, but it would be interesting indeed.

actually one of the prime reasons that led to the creation of city states still exists and contunues to influence greek life.

this is the geographical structure of the country which creates many virtually isolated to eachother spaces (and well protected), where people evolve in large by themselves.

so this exists still today, but of course the differences ine sociopolitical and economic evolvement is the echo of past times, modern transportations have created other parameters.

Comment

uber, maybe u find this interesting: in a small tottaly secluded village in Karpathos, an island in SE Aegean, that is located on the top of Olympus (the largest mountain of that island) the people there (the few that remain) still speak ancient greek.

Comment

the name of the village is Olympus too.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Originally posted by Spectator
                          I dont ming gay guys, really, but dont grab my ass or tigh or you'll get your ass kicked. I dont call that a hate crime, I call that teaching manners.

I'm not homophobic because ... like ... I know a few gay people and stuff .... and like ... don't mind shaking their hands or nothin'. As long as they don't, like, try and stroke my ass or play with my balls or nothin' ... I mean ... that happens all the time ... I'm just such a goddamn gorgeous stud that those dudes can't keep their hands off me.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

minor threadjack,
                              of course the moral codes of the ancients would seem quite odd today anyway.

i.e. during some fights between city states, there was am agreement for wariors NOT to kill the other by hitting him in the face, so that he remained beautiful even in death for his lover (male that is)

Comment

hate crime laws suck

punish people for what they do, but not for why they do it...
                                CSPA

Comment

Working...
                                X