Hate Crime Laws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate Crime Laws...

According to a poll by the Gay Times, 29% of gay men have been a victim of homophobic crime.

I'm only 18, not flamboyant and have been myself (though I never reported it).

Do strciter laws need to be in place to stop this kind of thing?

My personal opinion is, if someone attacks someone because of what they are they are more likely to do it again - so a tougher penalty should be impsed. However, this should apply to any section of society who are attacked - if a someone is attacked for being white or straight, then they too should be protected.

What do you think?
    Yes
    35.14%
    No
    54.05%
    Don't Know/Don't Care/ La la la
    2.70%
    Bananas should be protected under law
    8.11%

No, because proving such crimes would be impossible - this will result to cases where someone hit's a guy and guy claims to to gay to get tougher punishment to the offender.
    Last edited by RGBVideo; April 2, 2003, 09:11.

Comment

In certain cases, however, it is possible - Matthew Shepard was a victim of a hate crime, there is no doubt about that.

Comment

It's a sad thing that these Hate crimes happen and we'd all be better off without them. However, when laws are made around such equality areas there a tendancy for tose involved to be treat in a favourable manner by the PC police hence and bogus claims bieng put in. for this reason i voted no, the answer is greater society awareness and making it socially unacceptable to be homophobic.

Legislation can be useful, but when it is taken too far the effects are negative, In Britain the current laws around race hate attakcs have sadly been so far that now the extreme right wing has gained support.
        Up The Millers

Comment

i think that if any person, whether gay or straight, is attacked then i think we have enough laws in place already to deal with that. we don't want the situation where someone gets into a fight in a pub, gets a kicking, turns out he's gay, he then claims he was attacked because he was gay. i can well imagine some people using such a 'hate crime' law in this way.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I disagree with the policy of making an injury given to someone because of a non hate reason being less serious than because of a hate reason
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Originally posted by red_jon
              According to a poll by the Gay Times, 29% of gay men have been a victim of homophobic crime.
              Why am I not surprised...?

Do strciter laws need to be in place to stop this kind of thing?
              No, some of you just need to stop trying to convince us that we are gay. Maybe the 29% are the ones that do that.

My personal opinion is, if someone attacks someone because of what they are they are more likely to do it again - so a tougher penalty should be impsed. However, this should apply to any section of society who are attacked - if a someone is attacked for being white or straight, then they too should be protected.
              A tougher penalty will not help, find a way to take the ignorance away, ON BOTH SIDES, that will help.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I don't believe we need stricter laws, just give those who commit the suspected hate crime community service - make them work in a gay bar for a week or something. If they are homophobic it is a punishment. If they are not then its no worse a punihsment than working Community Service anywhere else.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Originally posted by Spectator
                  No, some of you just need to stop trying to convince us that we are gay. Maybe the 29% are the ones that do that.

You ****ing jerk! I am one of those 29% and I DO NOT do that!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Well you sure as hell are a flamer though, and have already lied about that. Not an insult, just my observation of your character.

By the way, don't try to act so stunned and surprised to certain responses. It's comically shallow, and you damn well expected it.

Comment

Hate Crimes? I think they are not a good idea.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Originally posted by Zylka

Well you sure as hell are a flamer though, and have already lied about that. Not an insult, just my observation of your character.

By the way, don't try to act so stunned and surprised to certain responses. It's comically shallow, and you damn well expected it.
                        A flamer? You know **** all about my character. I haven't lied about it because I am not camp or flamboyant. Sure I joke about it online or with my friends, but in public I don't go mincing round the streets.

And sicne when did prejudiced responses become ok?

Comment

When you start pushing a ridiculuos topic pertaining to how hard done by you are. Listen, I've had plenty of ILLEGAL things happen to me, simply because the said criminals hated my personality (totally legal aspects of it, mind you). Should I get a personal hate-crime law legislated to protect myself, or run around demanding extra authority be dispatched in defence like some indignant princess?

I deal with it. Everyone deals what they're given with the SAME SET OF LAWS everyone else gets.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Hate Crime Laws...

Dude, I said MAYBE. Because I saw that be done to me or my friends by gay people more than once. I was just mentioning a point.
                            Hoe many times have I seen gay people come on to straight people even if they KNOW that that person is not gay. How annoying is that.
                            I dont ming gay guys, really, but dont grab my ass or tigh or you'll get your ass kicked. I dont call that a hate crime, I call that teaching manners.
                            I dont go around grabbing girls ass or whatever....and as soon as a gay guy gets hits for any reason he usualy turns it into:" OH! you fu**ing gay hater, I'll press charges against you...." and so on. I say shut up, you deserved it.
                            If you feel attacked by waht I just said you are probably one of those gay people, if you aren't I'd be glad to have you in my environment.

You see my point?

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I didn't make the thread to say how hard-done by I am, it was to create a discussion on whether people should be protected from being attacked based on what they are.

You get beaten up for your personality, at least there's a reason - people who get stabbed for being black or tied to a fence post to die (like Shepard) because they're gay don't even need to have said anything to the agressors.

And if you think everyone gets the same set of laws as everyone else you're sorely mistaken.

And I actually believed your lies when you pmed me to tell Mtg that you're not homophobic - you're a bigot, plain and simple (and to be honest I empathise with the guys who attacked you - you're personality is a lying, two-faced bigoted moron. Who wouldn't want to slug you in the mouth?

Comment

Working...
                              X