No announcement yet.

America, land of the....sued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if it is true but I have heard that Adolf Hitler once said "I shall not rest until every German realises it is a disgrace to be a lawyer".

If it is true then I agree with him on one thing.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      The problem is that in many cases, the people actually win those Silly Lawsuits... sigh...

... and then are reversed on Appeal, but that doesn't make good sensationalist news, does it?

--

And besides MOST of the changes in the law or practices came from lawsuits. Ford stopped making deathtraps like the Pinto because they were sued!
      I think this bears repeating for those who want to ignore the reality of the situation.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        2 months in jail for wasting the court's time is harsh, to say the least. I agree her case should have been dismissed as soon as the judge has seen it, and she should have paid a big fine for her absurd case. But 2 months in prison ? I don't call this justice
        She had the choice between paying 50000$ or 2 months in Jail. She chose jail. As we all know, she'll be out in 2 weeks.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator

WRONG?!?! WRONG!?!?!?! What the **** is wrong there? The stupid old bag tried to dry her cat in a MICROWAVE!!!

Spec.
          That would be called an urban legend.

In this classic urban legend, an elderly pet owner attempts to dry her beloved pet in a microwave oven, with heart-rending results.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Most of the silliest wins come from jury trials. I think most other places use them much more rarely than the US.

In Canada, a jury trial is possible in civil matters but it represents a miniscule proportion of matters going to trial.

Most of the silliest decisions are reversed on appeal . . . whether the decision was jury or judge.

For example I remember a thread where people decried the Canadian court system when a judge acquitted an inmate of a weapons charge when he had fashioned a weapon out of available materials. People even characterized the decision as providing the prisoners with a "right" to arm themselves. I saw in the paper this weekend that the trial court reversed 3-0 on appeal in a pretty forthright decision.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

That would be called an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/micropet.htm

EDIT: That is not what I heard happened. The cat did not exploded but died because it's fluid boiled and the cat's brain died of "overheating". But ok, I give you that one, I didn't know. Anyhow, you know what I mean, I could find hundreds of examples like that one.

BTW, I wonder why it says:" Dont use while wearing clothes" in the instruction manual of an iron. Maybe someone sued....

Spec.
              Last edited by Spec; March 25, 2003, 18:36.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

A lot of these are reversed, I believe the 'McDonald's coffee is too hot' case got thrown out just recently.

The trouble with much AMerica's civil legal system is juries. Many of these outrageous lawsuits are won in jury trials, usually when a judge gets a hold of the case they throw it out as frivilous. The reasons for this I can't fully explain but juries in civil courts are one of the major problems in our legal system.
                When one is someone, why should one want to be something?
                ~Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I hadn't heard the mcdonald's burn case got thrown out.

The woman did burn the hell out of her cooch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    I hadn't heard the mcdonald's burn case got thrown out.

The woman did burn the hell out of her cooch.
                    Yea well she deserved it. Who drives around with a hot coffee between his/her legs. To me, that's just looking for trouble.
                    Next time she'll buy a car with a cup holder.

Spec.

Comment

well I agree.

but we have to protect stupid people from themselves. I believe that is in the constitution now.

Comment

What disturbs me is the willingness to find a culprit for every accident that happens, or every stupidity.
                        This trend has originated in the US, but is now spreading in the rest of the world (of the West at least). It doesn't only lie on the greed of the complainants. It also lies on the belief every problem is somebody's fault.

I've read an interesting book, where the author explains how today's consumer, who just loves to be pampered, is glorifying both the children and the victims, for they symbolize the complete lack of responsibility. You might want to check out Pascal Bruckner's The Temptation of Innocence (I thought it was an eye opener when I was 18).

The trend of going to court for whatever reason, even when the problem is the complainant's fault, seems to be a consequence of this glorification of irresponsibility. Whereas judges follow the logic of the law, juries are sympathetic to the plight of the complainant. And the one who should be responsible in all cases, the incriminated professional, must pay ridiculous amounts.

I don't know if you had such a case on your side of the pond, but a case in France one year ago really hit the fan. A mentally-handicapped boy was born in the early 80's, after the doctor didn't detect any abnormality. In 2002, the mother's problem was the survival of her son once she'll die of old age. Guess what she did to find money for her son ? Did she turn to welfare ? Did she turn to charity ? No, she sued the doctor who made a mistake 20 years ago, and the worst is that she won. Needless to say, as it was a precedent, all doctors were threatened to have such trials for every error with dire consequences they have made. Insurance premiums for doctors skyrocketed. Luckily, the politicians put a stop to this madness.
                        This woman wanted to milk millions from a doctor because of her child being handicapped. I think it is the worse case of "stupid trials" I've heard of until now.

(If you are interested in this matter, the whole affair is called "arrêt Perruche" )
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I think this bears repeating for those who want to ignore the reality of the situation.

Che quoted me and agreed! I feel 'shock and awe' .

The trouble with much AMerica's civil legal system is juries. Many of these outrageous lawsuits are won in jury trials, usually when a judge gets a hold of the case they throw it out as frivilous. The reasons for this I can't fully explain but juries in civil courts are one of the major problems in our legal system.

That does seem to the be the interesting part. Many judges would love to rule opposite of the jury on some cases, but a JMOL (Judgment as a Matter of Law) can only be used sparingly. We aren't doing a good job as juries. This is reason #4023 for why we should teach MORE civics in schools (especially in elementary schools). Tell people what the system is!
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            well I agree.

but we have to protect stupid people from themselves. I believe that is in the constitution now.

That's funny....but sadning at the same time....

Spec.

Comment

In the UK we realise we can't trust people in civil cases. The problem is that juries will find for the plantiff because they are usually aginst a corporation or someone with insurance and they therefreo don't see the harm in finding for them.

Civil cases are often about the law rtaher than who you believe as in a criminal case. Judges should make the decision.
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                                What disturbs me is the willingness to find a culprit for every accident that happens, or every stupidity.
                                This trend has originated in the US, but is now spreading in the rest of the world (of the West at least). It doesn't only lie on the greed of the complainants. It also lies on the belief every problem is somebody's fault.
                                The trend of going to court for whatever reason, even when the problem is the complainant's fault, seems to be a consequence of this glorification of irresponsibility. Whereas judges follow the logic of the law, juries are sympathetic to the plight of the complainant. And the one who should be responsible in all cases, the incriminated professional, must pay ridiculous amounts.
                                Exactly the problem. If you make a mistake anywhere, you can get sued, and if you're just plain stupid, you can sue. Where is the, "humans make mistakes", "people learn from their mistakes", "only god doesn't make mistakes" and so on... There is no margin of error anymore.

What gets to me is exactly this:
                                If I'm walking down the street and I'm looking at a nice looking car (An RX-7 or something ) and break my foot because I trip on a crack in the street, I can sue!! It would be my frikin fault! I'm the one not looking in front of me, cracks are a normal thing in streets, the city cant check every street for every crack. Injuries are part of life, otherwise, we would'nt have evolved to heal...

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X