No announcement yet.

The Battle of Baghdad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His cousin is dead. The British military and AP just confirmed that Chemical Ali was killed in Basra.
    Good riddance

Comment

• From what im gathering, it seems saddam's regime is crumbling... losing Basra... invasion of Baghdad... chemical weapons have been found (cant wait to see the world reaction to that... undoubtedly there will be amny who will say the US planted them there and poisoned our own troops...). The end is near, i hope.
      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• All I can say is that I am glad they chose to boldly move downtown. In retrospect, they could have done this two days ago. The Iraqi's are clearly finished militarily.

We need next to work on capturing Saddam. Hopefully, if we get him, the resistance throughout Iraq will all but end.

This victory will have to rank among the most overwhelming in history, not so because we won, but because we did it so quickly with such economy of force, while minimizing friendly and civilian casualities.

Will the name Tommy Franks rank up their with George Patton?
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• No, cause the enemy here has been so inept and is so overwhlemingly inferior to begin with, that victory was never in doubt. Patton fought enemy soldiers that were trained and generally equiped as well as his men.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
            All I can say is that I am glad they chose to boldly move downtown. In retrospect, they could have done this two days ago. The Iraqi's are clearly finished militarily.
            All sorts of things can be done in retrospect.

We can't govern an occupied country from AFVs, so there has to be a lot greater extent of passification and disarmament before we can transition from warfighting mode to occupation mode.

The Iraqis have put up even less of a fight (far less of a fight) than they did in GW1. Not a single air sortie, not a single fixed wing aircraft downed by air defenses, so it's a bit hard to sell the idea that this was an imminent threat that needed the 80 billion cleaning treatment.

The Iraqi resistance has been about on a par of what we could expect from Nigeria.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Will the name Tommy Franks rank up their with George Patton?
              It'd be more like the next Hernando Cortes.

EDIT: Thought it might be a good idea to change it to a conquistador that's a bit better known.
              Last edited by General Ludd; April 7, 2003, 16:47.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Military Advisor: Commander, our troops have captured Sun Tzu's Art of War!

Comment

• I think resistance would be worse in nigeria. Maybe as easy in niger, but Nigeria.

And No, Francks won't be anything more than a footnote in history. I mean, look at Schwarzkopff. 12 years later and they have to tell you on TV who he is. Don't expect any movies either.

Comment

• [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Andrew1999
                    Military Advisor: Commander, our troops have captured Sun Tzu's Art of War!

Commander, our troops have destroyed the Colossus!
                    Attached Files
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• The British commander has lavished high praise on Tommy Franks and his war plan, saying it was "brilliant."
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Which part of the war plan in particular was "brilliant", I wonder. Was it the at least 20-to-1 superiority in equipment and training? A decimated country from decades of mismanagement followed by crippling sanctions? Complete air dominance before a shot was fired? Troops that were actually fed?

I think I could come up with an equally "brilliant" plan of attack if I went to the nearest public school and beat the crap out of a second-grader.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                          The British commander has lavished high praise on Tommy Franks and his war plan, saying it was "brilliant."
                          So was Scwarzkopff's plan, and he won;t be getting a movie either.

How many times do you see Franks on TV? If this war is made into a movie, the guy playing Franks would get second billing.

As I said, the enemy is too inferior, the goal inherently political, not military, and it is all about the Bush, all of which makes for a rather forgatable theater commander, no matter how much currentl priase he gets. What people will be talking about in a few years is how new US weapons, not this plan, made this possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                            Which part of the war plan in particular was "brilliant", I wonder. Was it the at least 20-to-1 superiority in equipment and training? A decimated country from decades of mismanagement followed by crippling sanctions? Complete air dominance before a shot was fired? Troops that were actually fed?

I think I could come up with an equally "brilliant" plan of attack if I went to the nearest public school and beat the crap out of a second-grader.
                            Part of being brilliant is how easy you make it look. We took a risk with the early movement of what some said were not enough ground troops. The bee line to Baghdad, securing the oil fields, the targeted attacks, all were well planned and exectued. Sure we kicked them around like second graders, but only because we did a good job.

There is plenty of tough fighting ahead and there will be pockets of resistance for years. This is the part of the plan I'm worried about.

Comment

• true... anyone can make an opposing force look good. The likelihood was low, but thats a function of 'pre-planning' of the construction of the force, including C3 assets.

Comment

• Attached Files
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X