Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No court martial for US pilots who killed four Canadians

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No court martial for US pilots who killed four Canadians

    Okay Ming, you closed my other thread on the subject so here it is without comment. Or are you banning all discussions about this tragedy???

    From The Toronto Star
    Anger greets decision of 'friendly fire' inquiry

    Two U.S. pilots who dropped a bomb on Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan "will get away with murder" if they're not court-martialled for the deadly mistake, says the mother of one of the victims.
    Agatha Dyer reacted with bitter disappointment after an American officer recommended today that Maj. Harry Schmidt and Maj. William Umbach shouldn't go before a military tribunal for the accident, which killed four Canadians in the Afghan desert last April. Eight other soldiers were injured.

    "I want to see some punishment," she said from her home in Montreal. "This is just a charade. They just get away with murder."

    Dyer took no comfort in the finding by Col. Patrick Rosenow who said there was sufficient evidence to send the pilots to a court martial, but that the charges should be dismissed and their case should be handled outside a military court.

    Rosenow, who presided over a special military hearing in January that looked into the case, said the matter should be heard in a non-judicial or administrative forum, which could result in a penalty as mild as a letter of reprimand.

    "The interests of good order and discipline could adequately be addressed by sanctions other than trial by court martial," said a U.S. Air Force release.

    The final decision in the case now rests with Lt.-Gen. Bruce Carlson of the 8th Air Force, but it was not clear when he would rule.

    Dyer, whose son Cpl. Ainsworth Dyer died along with three other soldiers from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, urged Carlson to dismiss the recommendation and order a court martial.

    "They have to pay for what they did," she said through tears and a thick Caribbean accent. "It was senseless - my son was young, he had a life, was going to get married, have children and have dreams and that will never come true. We're so upset."
    Golfing since 67

  • #2
    I don't understand this 'getting away with murder'. At most this would be involuntary manslaughter.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

    Comment


    • #3
      I was talking about this case with a deputy district attorney friend of mine awhile back, and I asked her, "Isn't it self defense if you kill someone because you have a mistaken but reasonable belief that he is trying to kill you?" She thought for a moment, and said, "Yeah."

      That seems to me to be what happened here. The pilots saw the Canadians firing their weapons and thought they were being fired upon. They were acting in self defense.

      It was a tragic accident, to be sure. But it was just that--an accident. It's wasn't murder.

      Comment


      • #4
        It was a tragic accident, to be sure. But it was just that--an accident. It's wasn't murder.


        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          I don't understand this 'getting away with murder'. At most this would be involuntary manslaughter.
          That's a semantic hair, isn't it?

          Lots of things are murder that aren't premeditated and done with malice, right?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

          Comment


          • #6
            Imran, no doubt. But an immediate family member could be expected to react emotionally. Zkribbler, I disagree. There are rules of engagement that were ignored in this case.

            The timing of this announcement is interesting. Were they hoping it would get less scrutiny and notice on the first day of the US Iraq war, or am I being too cynical?

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm glad to hear that! I think it was silly for them to make such a fuss. It occured in a combat zone, accidents happen. It's tragic, but that's part of the job. She should just accept the fact that her son was in a dangerous profession, instead of trying to ruin more lives. I feel sorry for the guys that have been dragged through this, I imagine they already feel bad enough as it is.

              Comment


              • #8
                Probably had something to do with them being doped up under orders of the Air Force.
                I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
                For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio

                Comment


                • #9
                  And ignoring orders. Don't forget ignoring orders.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This case was a little excessive compared to normal fratricidal attacks.

                    What is being said, in effect, is that a non-judicial proceeding will handle this, rather than a court-martial.

                    That will most likely mean demotion, forfeiture of pay and benefits, and the pilots separation from military service.

                    There are bigger fish here - the doping issue is one, the use of reservist pilots possibly without adequate preparation, administrative task saturation and poor communication that caused them not to be aware that they were over a designated training area, so a good defense lawyer could muddy the waters in a trial proceeding.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by notyoueither
                      And ignoring orders. Don't forget ignoring orders.
                      Might have had something to do with them being high as a kite.
                      I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
                      For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sure mistakes were made, but it was a stressful situation and potentially dangerous. Sometimes people react without thinking under those conditions; that's just being human. I'm sure they've been disciplined for their mistakes, not to mention the guilt they already have to live with. They don't need to be courtmartialed as well. That would be cruel and unusual punishment IMO.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lots of things are murder that aren't premeditated and done with malice, right?


                          Define lots . Outside of premed murder (or purposely) there is knowingly and recklessly (though that wouldn't fly, because Canadian and America troops were engaged in a military setting). Negligent homicide is very rare and wouldn't apply based on the setting Then there is felony murder (but there was no felony here).

                          What's left is manslaughter... and this wasn't voluntary.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

                            There are bigger fish here - the doping issue is one, the use of reservist pilots possibly without adequate preparation, administrative task saturation and poor communication that caused them not to be aware that they were over a designated training area, so a good defense lawyer could muddy the waters in a trial proceeding.
                            The more I hear of the case, the more I can't help but feel that they're just taking the fall for screw-ups higher up.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They weren't high as a kite, people in the military who have used the stuff said it's like a few cups of strong coffee. Since that's generally what people give to drunks to sober them up, I'd say being "high" was not their problem. I understand the guys were told there should have been no friendlies in that area when they requested instructions. Does anyone have an actual transcript of testimony given by the people involved? People throw the word "high" around and don't know the first thing about what they're talking about.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X