No announcement yet.

Well, we're going to war, so POST AWESOME MILITARY PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are cruisers. The amount of work I've done on them is extensive. Even though I was only at SIMA (Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity) for about a year in Mississippi. Everything above the main deck is made of aluminum. You don't want to be there if it gets hit by a missile. These ships are the anti-air and missile defense for battle groups. we had the Yorktown and Ticonderoga in Mississippi.

Hmm I can't find any pictures of the frigates that were stationed in MS. we had 3 of those ships stationed there.

Comment

• we had 3 of these aboard the USS Enterprise

and 2 of these. one on the port side, one on the starboard.

Those are the only permanent mounted weapons an aircraft carrier has. You can also mount .50 cal machine guns along various sponsons and such. Or the fantail. The marines liked firing their pretty guns from the fantail . But I think the Enterprise got rid of their marine detachment. I guess they rely on the master at arms-Security division (I did TAD- temp active duty there for a while) or the gunners mates (for the machine guns) for ship defense against boarding and such.

Comment

• Best ship in the Navy

USS Nebraska!

KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• bah!

USS Nevada. Only battleship to make it out of Pearl Harbour on Dec 7, 1941. Of course it was badly damged.

Nevada is the one that isn't capsized

perhaps they only got underway. It says it was beached by torpedo hits

A little history:

On 7 December 1941, Nevada was moored singly off Ford Island, and had a freedom of maneuver denied the other eight battleships present during the attack. As her gunners opened fire and her engineers got up steam, she was struck by one torpedo and two, possibly three, bombs from the Japanese attackers, but was able to get underway. While attempting to leave harbor she was struck again. Fearing she might sink in the channel, blocking it, she was beached at Hospital Point. Gutted forward, she lost 50 killed and 109 wounded.

Refloated 12 February 1942, Nevada repaired at Pearl Harbor and Puget Sound Navy Yard, then sailed for Alaska where she provided fire support for the capture of Attu 11 to 18 May. In June she sailed for further modernization at Norfolk Navy Yard, and in April 1944 reached British waters to prepare for the Normandy Invasion. In action from 6 to 17 June, and again 25 June, her mighty guns pounded not only permanent shore defenses on the Cherbourg Peninsula, but ranged as far as 17 miles inland, breaking up German concentrations and counterattacks. Shore batteries straddled her 27 times, but failed to diminish her accurate fire.

Between 15 August and 25 September, Nevada fired in the invasion of Southern France, dueling at Toulon with shore batteries of 13.4-inch guns taken from French battleships scuttled early in the war. Her gun barrels were relined at New York, and she sailed for the Pacific, arriving off Iwo Jima 16 February 1945 to give Marines invading and fighting ashore her massive gunfire support through 7 March.

On 24 March, Nevada massed off Okinawa with the mightiest naval force ever seen in the Pacific, as pre-invasion bombardment began. She pounded Japanese airfields, shore defenses, supply dumps, and troop concentrations through the crucial operation, although 11 men were killed and a main battery turret damaged when she was struck by a suicide plane 27 March. Another two men were lost to fire from a shore battery 5 April. Serving off Okinawa until 30 June, from 10 July to 7 August she ranged with the 3rd Fleet which not only bombed the Japanese home islands, but came within range for Nevada's guns during the closing days of the war.
          Last edited by Dis; March 19, 2003, 04:06.

Comment

• Only current ships, dammit!

Don't make me break out the WWI-era shots of the old USS Nebraska...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• OH YEAH?
              The HMCS Calgary

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• At least it's better than the fearsome HMCS Goose Bay...

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I wonder if the US Coast Guard could beat the Canadian Navy...

MtG? Got an answer to that?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The Iraqi Navy :
                      Attached Files
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Jeltz, I am absolutely sickened about that guerilla tent picture. Look at your camoflague! None! Just that net thrown over.. Absolutely sickening!

This is cool piece of AA stuff.
                        Attached Files
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Dutch Royal Navy Minesweeper clearing up the mess in the Gulf...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• The Goalkeeper close distance ship defense system:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                              Jeltz, I am absolutely sickened about that guerilla tent picture. Look at your camoflague! None! Just that net thrown over.. Absolutely sickening!

This is cool piece of AA stuff.
                              That's a BUK, right?

The guerilla tent was the only picture I could find on the google image search, so I'm not responsible for the bad camo.
                              "Relax, pay your income tax!" - The Fast Show
                              "Once you discover white paint, you'll never wash your underwear again." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

• That's BUK yes.. it's nice piece of work. Though not the best in the market, but still pretty good. I like them. I should get one in my backyard, just to be sure.

Well you should be disgusted about the camo too. It was non existent! We can't send this kind of message to the world, since we are masters of camoflagueing and cold hearted killers!
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X