No announcement yet.

Well, we're going to war, so POST AWESOME MILITARY PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I better hold my tongue as well. No need to start an international incident over this guy...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

The M14 is a very good rifle, its a mystery why the M16 was adopted.

I think the rifle I'm thinking of was the M10? It looked like an M16 on steroids. Wood stock, 7.62NATO and about 10lbs. I had the oppurtunity to buy 2 in 1979 but didnt. They're probably worth a great deal now.

EDIT: I was thinking of the AR10
      The Armalite AR-10 is pretty close to a cleaned up (no bipod mount, slightly smoother lines in stock) M14A1.

The big point to the M-16 wasn't the weight savings in the rifle itself, but the fact you can carry about twice the number of rounds for the same weight - a big difference in firepower delivery with an automatic weapon equipped light infantry squad.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        apparently you fail to grasp the purpose of a CIWS

That or he just wanted to be a whiny little *****...
        You apparently forgot Ming's and my policy about bans for the duration of the war if for insulting other posters, flaming or excessive trolling.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
          What is a CIWS ?
          Close-In Weapons System. It's a point defense system (radar controlled Vulcan 20mm 6-barrel autocannon) for protecting ships from inbound missiles.

Comment

• Thx for the info MtG
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• edit: Nevermind...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                I prefer 7.62 ammo - M16's are just toys.
                CSPA

Comment

• Sorry but I have to laugh at some of the folks in this thread complaining about having to see the ugly face of war on this thread whilst they **** over the very ordnance responsible for those deaths...

I really find it difficult to countenance that some of you get kicks from glorifying death and destruction - somehow I don't think you'd be singing the same tune if you were on the other end of it...

There is a time and place to enjoy a piece of hardware going BOOM! And frankly this isn't it!

Grow up and get a conscience!
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joseph
                    What ship is this one, because the Iwo Jima is tie up at Mare Island and has been there for maybe 4 or more years. The Iwo did an operation with us back in 63 in Hawaii. It was new then.
                    That's the USS Guam LPH-9. An LPH class. Very obsolete. It was made in the 60's. We could only deploy marines with helicopters. We didn't have the boat that could go out the back. And we were fairly small compared to the LHA's.

We had only had 2 boilers to supply one shaft and one screw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                      What is a CIWS ?
                      Yes, I am a whiny little ****. People are going to die today, and you are looking this with excitement as a good entertainement show. I feel I have to remind what war is about. It is about death and suffering.
                      Maybe the people who criticized Sept. 11 explosions were whiny little ****s too ?
                      Unfortunately, you are right, Spiffor. I don't know what is the worst, the war itself or people enjoying death and destruction. It's sad.

I don't want to offend anyone here, I'm just wondering how I'll explain that to my son. He's ten years old, and it's difficult to him to understand WHY people kill for drugs (yes, we have our own internal war, here in Brazil... ), religion, oil, domestic politics (can we deny this?), money, power... He just can't understand terrorism, mass murders, wars, refugees, starvation, the absolute lack of conscience of men like Saddham or Bush...

Like your brother, Spiffor, he's feeling bad.

Sorry, guys... Those beautiful pics of vessels, troops or equipment can't hide the essence of all this: death.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

While the M-14 was a very good selective fire rifle, it was very heavy and not very handy in close fighting, which is the majority (especially at the time with Vietnam). In addition the 5.56 mm round is much lighter, and therefore a man armed with an M-16 can carry a lot more ammo for the same total weight as a man armed with an M-14. The changeover represents the Americans finally choosing firepower over long range accuracy and potency. Of course I'd still like to own an M-14, and will probably get the semi-auto version when my toy fund recovers from the new computer I bought last year.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS

Grow up and get a conscience!
                          Says the man with the Westham United avatar.
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Close-In Weapons System. It's a point defense system (radar controlled Vulcan 20mm 6-barrel autocannon) for protecting ships from inbound missiles.
                            The Goalkeeper system I posted earlier is another example of this.

Comment

I think the rifle I'm thinking of was the M10? It looked like an M16 on steroids. Wood stock, 7.62NATO and about 10lbs. I had the oppurtunity to buy 2 in 1979 but didnt. They're probably worth a great deal now.

EDIT: I was thinking of the AR10
                              Yes, the AR-10 is what you were thinking of.

The M-14 was dropped because the M-14 was a lot heavier both in itself, and its ammo was about twice as heavy... i wouldnt mind tho, because one 7.62 could take a man down where as multiple 5.56 might be needed. Also, because of its very powerful rounds it was very hard to keep under controled while using automatic fire. To do this effectively it had to be fired while prone and using a bi-pod. The M-16 adn its lighter round however can be fired automatic relatively under control .

The early model M-14's fired 30-06 bullets (truely powerful rounds), but the .308 (7.62) winchester was developed with modern propellants to be shorter, but almost as powerful due to the use of modern propellents, adn therefor weighed less, so more ammo could be carried by a soldier.
                              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• I see that not one, but 2 have already responded to this
                                "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                                - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                                Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X