No announcement yet.

Building a box... won't boot... help :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compusa is less likely to have one than some of the smaller shops, but maybe. Especially if the smaller shop has a pack rat around.

The reason I have some is a supplier sent us a bunch of cases with power supplies sans P4 connector and had to send the adaptors. Many of the cases were used for Athlons and did not need the connector. And then, I'm a pack rat.

It shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks. It is 2 pieces of plastic with 4 wires. If you need one, just PM me a mailing address.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Uber

Buy a new Power Supply. Older Power Supplies were big on 3.3 V and 5 V but did do not supply enough 12V to run a P4 system and all the cooling needed. Don't cheap out on the PS or you will be a sorry puppy.
      The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
      Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

ack, i forgot, i have a dentist's appointment tomorrow morning. yay route canal

wonder how up for shopping i'll feel after that.

anyway, the major issue is that i'm going back to college on sunday, and i'd like to get the box running as soon as possible.

how long does it take for mail to get from (i froget where in Canada you are) to Long Island, NY?

i'll be around for like 10 more minutes, gonna pass out soon
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I bought a new power supply recently, and was wondering what that extra power cable plugged into.
          Now I know.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Promethus
            Uber

Buy a new Power Supply. Older Power Supplies were big on 3.3 V and 5 V but did do not supply enough 12V to run a P4 system and all the cooling needed. Don't cheap out on the PS or you will be a sorry puppy.
            hrm. a seemingly valid point.

being that i am a novice on power supplies, i shall heed this warning. NYE, care to comment on this?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

That's a good point. I assumed most non P4 300W would be suitable for an Athlon, and hense for a P4. There are some very rare antiques unsuitable for either. What are the specs of your ps?

They should be printed on a label.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

relevent numbers on the ps:

300W

switching power supply
                115V 60Hz
                230V 50Hz

Comment

i'm going to sleep now.

thanks again all

Comment

There are more.

+12
                    +5
                    +3.3
                    5vsb

and such. They should all be in a line on the manufacturers label.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Urber

There are more.

+12 VDC This Is the Main power for P4 & AMD CPU's & MoBo's. + all of your drives motors (i.e. Hard Drives, CDROM, DVD) & Cooling Fans. Add up the watts to make shure you have enough.
                      +5 VDC Some MoBo but mostley for drives.
                      +3 AGP video for the most part
                      -12 ISA Only
                      -5 ISA Only
                      5vsb Not counted in overall rating, only used when PS is in "Sleep Mode".
                      The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.

Comment

i bought a new powersupply this morning with the correct plugs.

now, when everything is hooked up and i push power, the power supply fan spins a little, and stops.

what now?

edit: this is just the mobo / power connectors, no chips / ram / parts in.

Comment

Sometimes motherboards don't like it unless you have all the components plugged in.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Alright, whats the bare necessities to get it to run then?

i dont want to spend another 2 hours setting it up to another failure

Comment

MBd, CPU, RAM, video and power supply.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

A Keyboard is also nice so that you can enter the BIOS and check the Power Supply voltage readings.
                                Last edited by Promethus; March 12, 2003, 21:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X