The "Will Tony Blair last?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Will Tony Blair last?" thread

I reckon he's toast if the resolution doesn't pass and since it looks today like it won't that means I reckon he's toast.

Always hated the guy, especially because he pretends to support my football team.
    Yes he'll last, after all cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast.
    38.46%
    Yes, but he will lose the next election.
    23.08%
    Yes, he'll lose an election; but, like Herpes, he'll be back.
    0.00%
    No, a party rebellion will be the end of him quite soon.
    15.38%
    Doomed he is, DOOMED!!!!
    12.82%
    Something about a banana.
    10.26%
    Only feebs vote.

Blair will stay, and by 2006 Iraq won't be an issue anymore.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I tend to be in agreement with this guy that the source of the protest is in a large part a failure of democratic accountability rather than mere peace protesting. In this way it is connected to the other protests that have occurred over the past few years (none of which I have attended)

Gary Younge: This war is not only about Iraq, but about who runs the world and how to make them accountable to us.

Anyway, kudos will go to the person who can tell me where the "doomed" quote comes from.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yes I wouldnt want to be in his shoes. Should of held his cards tighter to his chest and listened to those that ellected him. I can understand he's trying to do the right thing but its just Iraq aint got no WMD (well we are yet to see the evidence).

There is a way out and its the way I hope he takes. No 2nd resolution, no British backing for a US led coalition (of them alone) strike.

We'll see what the Red Neck Bush does then, does he want to go slaughter the Iraq's on his own (well guess he'll do the same as any other school bully).

I hope Tony finds a suitable apt climb down.

Comment

It depends on whether or not his party is willing to disown him. If labor is willing to toss him out and go with new leadership, yeah, he could well be toast.

But what do I know? I'm just an American.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

An amendment proposed in Parliament demanding more time be given failed recently.

Comment

From what I've heard (on Canadian news, so it has come credability), a lot of the British are hating Blair right now. I would think he will lose the next election, though perhaps have some sort of position in the parliament.

Unless he goes Mike Harris on us and, against all odds, wins the election

Or, go Dubaya on us and win the election despite what simple addition would tell us
              I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Because the Tories supported it. A vote of confidence in the Government's handling of its own policy also passed, again because the Tories supported it. There was a huge rebellion among Labour backbenchers which was apparently only the tip of the iceberg: most were waiting to see what happened at the UN.

Unfortunately for Blair the Tories won't be able to help him in his own caucus, which is where a leadership vote would take place.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Blair also a won a majority of Labour MP votes as well though.

Comment

Blair won't be thrown out by his party, and he won't lose the next election.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Who else is there?

Therefore Blair stays on. He wins by default.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Where is the alternative ?????

British politicians (when it comes to it) only care about one thing, re-election !!! It is no suprise that the politicians in rock-solid labour seats (seats that were even when Michael Foot was leader) feel they can say and do as they wish. But the bulk of the Labour party will be looking to the next election. There is no opposition, no credible alternative ..

Regardless what Anti-War protestors say, there's is not the majority opinion, and even if there were who would they realistically vote for ???

Tony Blair is certainly in for a torrid time, but unless the war really goes belly-up, he will sail through the occational storm to victory in the next election, because its like a football match where the opposition fail to turn up.

On a personal note, if the Labout party ever got Rid of Tony Blair, they would turn me, a life long Labour supporter to the Conservatives, and that is saying something. I could not vote for a party that refuses to help our allies in their time of need.
                        "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                          Blair also a won a majority of Labour MP votes as well though.
                          Because many of the critics held their peace until the UN vote. Things have gotten a lot worse since then.

Anyway, here's my idea of a protest from my own countrymen when John Howard visited this week:

Greenpeace made one of the most visible anti-war statements of Mr Howard's visit, putting an Uncle Sam hat on top of the giant Gollum statue at the Embassy Theatre and dangling a puppet of Mr Howard from his fingers.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Regardless what Anti-War protestors say, there's is not the majority opinion
                            Looked at a poll lately?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by toast.

He is an elected official. He will finish his term out. I doubt he will get re-elected if he can run again though. Same with Bush.

Comment

Working...
                              X