No announcement yet.

California proposes bullet tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of hard to get your "used" bullets out of someone: hell, let them try, more forensic evidence to catch them.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I guess I'm ignorant of bullets. I didn't know you could reuse them?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If they are seriously deformed, how could you reuse them? Would you not have to melt them down and then back into shape?

Also, how easy would it bee to get your bulets back unless you were in something like a shooting range? Hunters will track dwon every bullet? After all, you buy ammunition in boxes, not as singles, no?
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

cartridges
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            It's a great way to promote sales of reloading equipment and supplies. Good ol' California government. Incompetence R Us.

LMAO

You weren't supposed to tell them that.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

But this tax would be on every bullet and cartridge.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                Sort of hard to get your "used" bullets out of someone: hell, let them try, more forensic evidence to catch them.
                You can buy a hand mold, lead, and an electric smelter kit to make bullets for around $30 in a hunting catalog. They come with enough lead to make hundreds of bullets.

That said I still would like to see a heavy tax on bullets.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Mike: I thought you lived in Mexico?
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

If what Oerdin just described is what MTG is talking about, then I can see the bullet tax still having a positive effect. Buying some kind of smelting kit seems like alot of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      For once Davis is doing something intelligent. This will decrease gun violence but it won't do much to decrease the state's massive budget deficit. Davis increase state spending at a rate of more then three and a half times the amount of increased tax recipts.

Think about it. The biggest boom in state history in turn meant the state of California enjoyed more more tax money then ever before in its history but Davis and the Democratically controlled state house created a deficit larger then most countries.

These bums need to be kicked out of office ASAP.
                      What were the spending increases?
                      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Admitably a large part of it was paying for electricity during the Enron created false energy crisis but he has increased spending on social programs by 50%. That's all well and good but at the end of the day the state still needs to pay for these and when your tax rate is already the highest in the region there just isn't enough head room to keep raising them.

Davis is one of those really old fashioned politicians who doesn't want to say no to anyone so he ends up giving money to every tom, ****, and harry who walks through his door. Bush jr. is equally profilgate when it comes to spending other people's money so it's not just a Democrat problem but California has every branch of the state controlled by Dems thus I end up *****ing about them more.

What we really need is a Clinton still fiscal conservative who is socially progressive.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                          Mike: I thought you lived in Mexico?
                          Live yes, but I work up here in California.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            Admitably a large part of it was paying for electricity during the Enron created false energy crisis but he has increased spending on social programs by 50%. That's all well and good but at the end of the day the state still needs to pay for these and when your tax rate is already the highest in the region there just isn't enough head room to keep raising them.

Davis is one of those really old fashioned politicians who doesn't want to say no to anyone so he ends up giving money to every tom, ****, and harry who walks through his door. Bush jr. is equally profilgate when it comes to spending other people's money so it's not just a Democrat problem but California has every branch of the state controlled by Dems thus I end up *****ing about them more.

What we really need is a Clinton still fiscal conservative who is socially progressive.
                            Social programs cost more when the boom comes down. Do you know what new programs are costing?
                            "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                            "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                            "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              If what Oerdin just described is what MTG is talking about, then I can see the bullet tax still having a positive effect. Buying some kind of smelting kit seems like alot of trouble.
                              Not at all. With a decent setup, you can do 500-1000 rounds a day without much problem, and save a lot of money over existing prices (do it yourself is about ~30% of the cost of store bought rounds, even before this tax.

FMJ rounds and hollow points are out, without a little more sophisticated equipment, but standard lead ball and wadcutters are easy.

With a little extra work, you can do hyper-velocity rounds in aluminum or magnesium (real bad for your barrels, but ballistically untraceable and 2-3x the velocity of standard weight lead or FMJ rounds, plus they're superheated enough to fracture on contact with a solid object, such as someone's head from 600 meters.) With a little machine shop capability (very little) you can make nice cookie cutter rounds that will do far more damage than hollow-points. Anybody who goes through a lot of ammo reloads, unless you've got money to burn.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                                If they are seriously deformed, how could you reuse them? Would you not have to melt them down and then back into shape?

Also, how easy would it bee to get your bulets back unless you were in something like a shooting range? Hunters will track dwon every bullet? After all, you buy ammunition in boxes, not as singles, no?
                                You can buy bulk brass, or scrounge it on ranges (they get pissed if they see you, since they recycle the brass into reloads themselves. Most ranges have an "all brass belongs to the range" policy, but I've always said BS to that and policed my own brass.

If someone actually practices on occasion, 95% to 99+% of their rounds will be fired on some sort of range.

For free lead, there's all sorts of places - I used to get it from tire stores, which have all those used tire balancing weights, plus lead is cheap to buy anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X