Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signs of the Times: The army has tracked me down: Now Should Horsie re-enlist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    Many of the protesters claimed the allies were in Vietnam simply to exploit South Vietnam's "vast mineral wealth" and not to fight off communist invasion of the south.
    So because they were wrong then you think they can't be right now !!!
    Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
    To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Be very afraid. Not only might you have to brave Iraqii soldiers (and civilians), but you might have to survive being an American ally.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        No matter how many times daft people repeat it this is a nonsensical arguement. If getting oil as cheaply as possible was our policy then simply lifting the sanctions and letting Saddam do what ever he pleases would insure the cheapest flow of oil. Since we are not doing this it stands to reason that our motivation has more then just cheap oil in mind.
        You're right. It has absolutely nothing to do with cheap oil. Lifting the sanctions would indeed ensure a flow of cheap oil.

This is about Bush and his oil buddies. They don't benefit from cheap oil that narrows their profit margins. They don't benefit from Saddam selling oil because they have no ownership over Iraqi oil.

But Bush and his oil buddies are having a great time with oil prices skyrocketing (oil that costs the same to produce as it did before). Oil profits will go through the roof. We won't see these profits in any year-end statements because there will be higher costs, such as massively inflated salaries for oil executives, contributions to certain political parties, investments into certain properties that have suddenly become available at fire-sale prices, etc.

Yup, you're right. It's got nothing to do with cheap oil prices.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          I told Mrs Horse I'd have to lose weight and get fit before I would even consider putting a uniform back on.
          I'm sure the shock of the chute opening on my first jump would end any thoughts of my 're-activating'. Its painfull just thinking about it.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            Be very afraid. Not only might you have to brave Iraqii soldiers (and civilians), but you might have to survive being an American ally.
            Those poor Canadians. Killed by their own ally.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Choice is simple really. Resign or accept that they could call you up in the future. I don't know anything about the reserve system in Australia but here in the States being called out of the inactive reserve is rare. Lots of people choose to come out and re enlist. At the most you would be stationed in your own country where hazard pay does not apply. I'll be getting a lot of money but only after we are deployed to the theater. I thought you worked in some kind of goverment office. If thats the case you would be paid your miltary pay and regular pay. Not bad if your just hanging around installations in Australia. At least that's the way it is here if you work for some goverment agency. A lot of the guys in my unit work for the State of Arkansas. They will get paid both for their job and military pay. Perhaps at a slightly reduced rate in some cases, but still its two separate pay checks.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Reply with "I don't care as long as I get to stab people".

You'll either get an honourable discharge (with the possibility of free medical aid) or you'll end up in Special Forces.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

One section asks what locations you'd be prepared to serve. "Anywhere where I can shoot some wogs"
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Those poor Canadians. Killed by their own ally.
                    And then we are expected to believe it was an accident
                    Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
                    To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Re: Signs of the Times: The army has tracked me down: Now Should Horsie re-enlist?

You failed to mention which country's army tracked you down...

Seriously, you have some soul serching to do. Personaly, they couldnt get me back for anything.

Comment

It is a bit of a shock to be contacted out of the blue like that.

It reminded me I could still get called up at some point, which would be the next step from the voluntary exercise they are doing now.
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Find your inner homosexuality...that should take care of it
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I did 3 years active, then got out.

The plan was to do 20 and retire, but you know how plans end up sometimes...

Had to sweat 5 years of IRR (ready reserve) where they could have called me back, but didnt. Now some other poor saps will, for the Gulf.

As of July 31st 1999, I was a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Find your inner homosexuality...that should take care of it
                              That could always work, but someone might ask for proof...

Comment

Get Boris to choose AH's clothing for when he reports in. And when they ask him why he's wearing purple boxers, insist that they are indigo, not purple.
                                Last edited by Skanky Burns; March 5, 2003, 19:44.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X