Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signs of the Times: The army has tracked me down: Now Should Horsie re-enlist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of the Times: The army has tracked me down: Now Should Horsie re-enlist?

There I was laughing at Sprayber and others who might get caught up in the train wreck known as George Bush's Iraq policy when a letter from the Defence Department arrived in my mailbox - thoughtfully redirected by my parents (rats!). It correctly quoted my name rank and regimental number (I'm a substantive infantry trained First Leftenant).

I thought it was an invitation to a regimental dinner but found instead a little survey from the Officer Comanding the ominously titled Standby Reserve Personnel Cell (prison cell? terrorist?) inviting me to reconsider my commitment as an officer on the Reserve List.

Apparently there's a new law which means you can't just hang out on the reserve list and reserves can be called up for active service.

Enclosed was an innocuous little survey with the following options:

. Resign my commission (wouldn't do that)

. Stay in the Standby Reserve

. Various higher categories of readiness up to the High Readiness reserve with 28 days "notice to move".

Now if any of you have ever been in the armed forces you would know that when you get an innocuous looking letter from the military its time to be afraid, very afraid

Aargh!!!!!!!!!!!! What should I do? Its a tough one.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Hide out in the Ayer Rock
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You have four colts. Remain in the stable.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yes but family life is a bit boring after a while.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

you could live with me and we could mock fez's painting endlessly
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Introduce your kids to spraypaint.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Horse, is it THAT bad for the Aussie army? Are the boat people threatening again?

Have they turned the WW1 vets outa the nursing homes and steered them towards the beaches yet?

If you join, choose the block watch or something. You have such a nice family..."boring"...for shame!
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The pay is good and tax free........the overseas allowance (danger money) is huge and also tax free......

Comment

Do the honourable thing. Fake some sort of incurable illness, like Alzheimer's.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

LAZ, youre a card
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

This may give you some ideas on how to get out of being shot.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Are the military in Oz as desperate as in the UK? At least this guy has experience of desert warfare but I don't think the sight of him in his electric buggy would scare Saddam.

Seriously, the question is what you might get into. The son of one of my work colleagues is an ex-paratrooper and in our Territorials. He has been called up and sent to Cyprus (nice!) to cover for full time soldiers being sent out to the Gulf. If they are going to send you somewhere pleasant and safe and pay you then go for it but not if it means getting shot at in someone else's war.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

If I'd been him I would have shown up at my barracks, and then claimed hazard pay for as long as it took them to discover the mixup.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

Are the military in Oz as desperate as in the UK?
                          Must be

It's interesting they are doing this.

Comment

You in the army seems like a Svejk of the 21st century. For the good of your nation, fake a illness!

Comment

Oh yes - I'd be just like the good soldier Svek, doing my duty as the empire falls apart around me

Comment

Working...
                              X