Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signs of the Times: The army has tracked me down: Now Should Horsie re-enlist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell the military "F*CK OFF, the war is WRONG"
    Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
    To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

I'm not high ranking enough to do that
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Tell them you have leprosy. To make it more convincing, clench your pen in your fingers to give them impression to whoever happens to read the letter that you have no thumb.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          I'm not high ranking enough to do that
          Well, the war is wrong so why not - then again as anti-war as I am I wouldn't really give a S**T what an army person told me.

No offence to you of course
          To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Originally posted by Elden
            Tell the military "F*CK OFF, the war is WRONG"
            Yes-yes-yes we know. But think about the taxfree money .
            First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by TheBirdMan

Yes-yes-yes we know. But think about the taxfree money .
              I'm thinking that it isn't worth the loss of innocent life on both sides.

Comment

Well I think the idea is they are seeing what officers they have available to fill gaps so the fit young professionals can go and fight. Kind of like a Dad's Army thing.

There's talk of deploying the reserve to protect key installations in the event of a major terrorist incident for example. I think that's what its about.

I know you might see it as a bit of a laugh but you don't expect to get a letter like that except in the event of war. It kind of makes this war seem more real if they are contacting old farts like me. I'll be 40 this year.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

AH, I know how you feel. I was in the service for six years and I was more then a bit torn when my old unit got called up to be sent to Kuwait. I ended up just putting my name on an alternate list but declining to actually go to Iraq. I guess I felt I had done my duty when I went to Kosovo and I didn't want to take another hit to my civilian career.

Since you have a family and, I assume, a good civilian job I would recomend keeping as far down the list as possible. Don't resign your commision but don't be the first in line either.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well if you're not gonna do anything why keep your commission? You can keep the funny aussie khaki uniform hat y'know.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I told Mrs Horse I'd have to lose weight and get fit before I would even consider putting a uniform back on.

She said yes! yes! do it!

One of my sons said "If I survive", could I bring back a laser gun

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        "If I survive
                        Its a pretty big IF

I don't understand why people want to go and get themselves killed to get oil for America...

... Especially when they aren't even Americans

Comment

SpencerH has got a good point.

Why do you want to stay on the reserve list if you're not willing to be called up?
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            SpencerH has got a good point.

Why do you want to stay on the reserve list if you're not willing to be called up?
                            He wants to be paid to do nothing (Untill they call on him and get him killed)

Comment

Do the right thing. Resign.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Elden
                                I don't understand why people want to go and get themselves killed to get oil for America...

... Especially when they aren't even Americans
                                No matter how many times daft people repeat it this is a nonsensical arguement. If getting oil as cheaply as possible was our policy then simply lifting the sanctions and letting Saddam do what ever he pleases would insure the cheapest flow of oil. Since we are not doing this it stands to reason that our motivation has more then just cheap oil in mind.

Also Edan you might want to read up about the history of anti-war protests during the Vietnam war. Many of the protesters claimed the allies were in Vietnam simply to exploit South Vietnam's "vast mineral wealth" and not to fight off communist invasion of the south.

Notice how Vietnam hasn't gotten rich off of mineral mining in the last thirty year? Hmmm, do you think this agruement might have been a red hering? The same thing is happening now only people are currently claiming oil instead of minerals as a motivation; the truth is of course else where.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X