Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Agathon and whoever else can be bothered is quitting smoking thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It helps the oral fixation...
    man, i need to meet a hot chick whos trying to quit smoking... i know a few things that can help with that oral fixation

Kman
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Yeah, if, instead of cigarettes, I was offered sex with a really hot chick whenever I felt like it, I don't think I'd miss smoking either. It's a sure fire cure and should be put on the national health.

Anyway, in a couple of hours if all stays the same the score will be:

Days since quite: 2

Cigs smoked: 0

Barneys with the wife: 2
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Keep it up man.

I, on the other hand am going to have a cig while it lasts.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

barney?
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            barney?
            Row, Argument, Strong difference of opinion.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I've been coughing and wheezing just recently and Im only 22...

and its been 6 months. If Im gonna cough anyway, I might as well as smoke up...

It's the logic that I want to lean towards right now.
              :-p

Comment

I must admit I used to smoke Dunhill which are pretty potent. I had switched to DuMaurier Kings which are a bit milder, but they are about six bucks a packet now so at my 15 or so a day it won't be long before I can afford something nice.

Could never really get over a pack a day. I wonder how anyone could manage two.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

start using snus if you can get it where you live. that's what I did!
                  CSPA

Comment

I did it cold turkey, it was complete hell, and i put on 1.5 stone and i haven't lost it yet.

I have taken up eating lare quantities of crisps instead
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

I wasn't aware of that. I quit 3 years ago (on the 15th actually) but i still have cravings : maybe i'll try this.
                      Well, after 3 years your lungs are probably cleared out so your cravings are likely caused by associations brought about by smells, situations, etc. I still have those occasional cravings as well as everybody else, but they are very short (less than 2 minutes) and some immediate diversion (talking, firing up Starcraft/Civ 2, whatever) will put it out of mind.

And that is where you have to quit - your mind. Running helped me, but that's because I was a thin smoker - if I weighed 300 pounds instead of 180 I would've taken a different approach. Running helped fill that psychological need that I had to show that, yes indeed, I am actively working to quit, plus I also reasoned that working your lungs to get all that phlegm out would be a good thing to do.

Agathon right now is trying to break the habit - his thoughts are constantly filled with a constant drumbeat of "No more cigarettes - NEVER!" His chest is tightening up on him, he's getting all irritable as hell, and half of him wants to believe he's just on a long smokeless break.

Agathon you don't need to just sit back and suffer - fight this thing! Run, jog, go out and move. You got a mall nearby? Take your wife for an hour walk and look at all the people. Got a gym, or a YMCA, or a place where you can jog? Get some exercise - and if you have a family, invite them along. If you think that you'll need a doctor to help, then by all means consult a doctor. And most of all, stop counting the "days since" and the number of arguments!

Quitting doesn't have to be bad - you're just making it hard on yourself. Don't mourn those damnable cigarettes, be glad those nasty, murdering fuckers are out of your life and that you are free of their influence. Be thankful for all that you WON'T miss!

Good luck!
                      Last edited by JohnT; March 6, 2003, 09:42.

Comment

I am glad to see people saying they have cravings, it seems in the real world when I talk about it most people who have quit say they never have cravings anymore.... I think I will have cravings for the rest of my life.
                        Pentagenesis for Civ III
                        Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                        Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                        X