Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Agathon and whoever else can be bothered is quitting smoking thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    This is terrible. I'd forgotten quite how it feels. It is like someone has died - there's a huge void in my life that used to be filled with cigarettes and standing around. Today it's like there is a giant hole in reality.

Still haven't smoked though. I think it's time for some chocolate.
    hmm.. perhaps a new hobby would help take your mind of things?
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Today it's like there is a giant hole in reality.
      Better a giant hole in reality than a hole in your lung. I have one, from 20 years heavy smoking. Better quit while it's time.

Comment

This is terrible. I'd forgotten quite how it feels. It is like someone has died - there's a huge void in my life that used to be filled with cigarettes and standing around. Today it's like there is a giant hole in reality.
        When you feel that, go run around the track until you cough your lungs out or do something similar.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Stay away from sex for a while that will only make it worse. No afterglow ciggy.
          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

I just quit smoking bud a little over a week ago. That's easy to quit, but along with it I decided to take a break from acid and all my other goodies. I feel your pain bro, it does feel like there's a giant hole in my life.

Right about now the computer should start melting, and it isn't.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Tiamat - if it were that easy no one on apolyton would smoke.
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

Results so far.

Days since decided to quit: 1

Cigarettes smoked: 0

Times divorce mentioned by Ag's wife: 2
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Good.

If you haven't, throw all your cigarettes away. Keep away from smokers. You'll do fine.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I remember LaRusso mentioned that when the craving gets too much it's good to go running untill you can take no more.
                    That will flood you with endorphines (in english?) plus it will make it impossible for you to want a cigarrette.

Comment

Carry a little bag of tasteless cereal. Put one in your mouth whenever you want a cig. I think the best kind is shreaded miniwheat.
                      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Although I have never been really convinced that I should quit, my family put such a pressure on me that I decided to do something. In order to show that I was really trying, I changed the brand for a new one with less nicotine and tars, and I reduced progressively the number of cigarettes per day according a precise schedule. For everybody enjoying my effort, I had in my pocket a clock ringing at the minute I was allowed to smoke one cig. With this crazy system, I was able to reduce my smoking to 5 cigarettes per day (0900, 1100, 1500, 1800, 2100) of cigarettes with the lowest content of nicotine (0.08mg) and tars (0.8mg), without being obsessed by the deprivation.

I kept that pace for about ten years... Then for some irrational reasons, I gave up, but still kept the low nicotine and tars cigarettes.

I understand that your wife has found a quite convincing argument which will help significantly to keep your motivation at a high level. Probably better than my system!
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                          2. Jog. Areobicize. Swim. Walk up and down the stairs 20 times. Do something daily that causes you to breathe hard and hack out crap from your lungs. You've got a lot of nicotine stored in the excess mucus in your lung and as long as its in there you are going to continue to have cravings.
                          I wasn't aware of that. I quit 3 years ago (on the 15th actually) but i still have cravings : maybe i'll try this.
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                            I remember LaRusso mentioned that when the craving gets too much it's good to go running untill you can take no more.
                            That will flood you with endorphines (in english?) plus it will make it impossible for you to want a cigarrette.
                            That'd kill me in no time flat. I guess poison was the cure, eh?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

I wasn't aware of that. I quit 3 years ago (on the 15th actually) but i still have cravings : maybe i'll try this.
                              NO! dont listen to that! Just eat ALOT of candies. Put somehting in your mouth if you still crave it.

People always like to give "healthy and good adivces" when there is a better method. :rollseye:

But seriously.. shoving stuff in your mouth works.
                              :-p

Comment

I haven't smoked for about 6 mos now, and I once quit for a year and a half, I had smoked on and off for 7 years.

If you want to quit, you will.

If you don't, you won't.

Ya dig?

I agree with calc II, when I quit for 1.5 years I started out by buying a big bag of bulk candy. It helps the oral fixation...
                                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X