No announcement yet.

Roll call: Gulf War II stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spraybear...i think you are being a little negative here. I think the kill ration in the last war was about 250 to 1. and good number of our losses were friendly fire...
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Cite please. I've read the text of 1441, and nowhere does it give any authorization of military action if its terms are not met. It simply says Iraq faces "dire consequences" should the UN not be satisfied with its compliance. And it's up to the UN to decide what those consequences should be.
      I also like the fact that he thinks the US has been delegated the responsibility of judging Saddam's compliance or lack thereof.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
        spraybear...i think you are being a little negative here. I think the kill ration in the last war was about 250 to 1. and good number of our losses were friendly fire...
        If only the war would be the last of it. We will be apart of whatever occupation force ends up in Iraq after the war. When the Marines went into Lebonon during the 80's it was going to be so easy. Didnt turn out very well though.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Be safe, Spray.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
            Since I'll be giving a year of my life (maybe the rest of it if the winds happen to be right) for this enterprise, I think I'll say lets get the damn thing done with.

Get the deed done.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Don't worry Sprayber, chances are you'll just get gulf war syndrome - unlike however many Iraqi civilians are killed thru so called 'collateral damage'...

Coalition fatalities last time around were less than 1% and that includes all the friendly fire cases.

I really wish that people would stop calling Blair Bush's lapdog because, much as I think that Blair is a git and a slimeball - he is the only reason the US hasn't gone to war on at least 3 seperate occassions.

Blair is the lone voice of reason in the Pro War camp as without him the US hawks would have already run amok like a bull in a china shop!

As for war, what's the rush!!? Rushing things and hamfisting the Al-Qaeda link 'evidence' like a bunch of amateurs has got the Turkish parliament and the British public telling the US to F*ck off. Also countries like France and Germany throwing their toys out of the pram because of US bully tactics - they're acting unreasonably as well because they're saying they will automatically nix a 2nd resolution because they can. I think the UN needs to agree just what constitutes starting a war and using that as the 2nd resolution - saying 'no' to war, not even as a final resort is crap IMO. But then so is using the words 'dire consequences' as an excuse for war - though the US has already declared an airwar now after stepping up attacks (many unprovoked) on Iraqi positions.

Slow and steady wins the race - let Saddam be disarmed (as is currently happening) or hang himself.

My biggest fear is that there ARE WoMD stored in secret bunkers all around Iraq and as Saddam's power collapses from a US attack all those guards decide to enrich themselves by fleeing with these WoMD straight into Al-Qaeda's arms - wouldn't that be the ultimate irony, the US being responsible for Al-Qaeda acquiring WoMD!!?

So, while we're able to twist Saddam's arm and force him to disarm as we are, there is no hurry IMO. Things are working.

If he decides to resist (as opposed to caving in as he has been at every turn during these inspections), then by all means bomb the sh*t out of him...

Hell, I applaud the success of capturing the Operations guy for Al-Qaeda the other day, way to go AND without killing thousands of innocent civilians either!

But as things stand, might does NOT make right (quite how the hypocrisy of such an action is lost on the Pro War camp I'll never understand), the US needs to play by the rules of civilised society otherwise it will end up like the schoolyard bully who has no friends...

So my opinion is the UN has to agree a final and unequivocal line in the sand where there is no alternative to force - if/when that is crossed, then we get him.

So Non US only pro war after all due process is exhausted. We need more inspectors to speed things up and assent for Saddam that they stay there indefinitely, evidence or not.
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                Be safe, Spray.
                Oh I will. It's just that we have been so busy getting stuff ready that the reality of being gone for so long hadn't sunk in yet until yesterday. My best friend is going with me and he has a son due on the 29th. All those things you meant to do and hadn't are comming back to haunt us.

There are different views on weither or not this is necessary, but one view we all share is that we need to get over there and do what we have to do and get it over with.

Some of you say this is getting old. Just think for a second how we feel about this. There are people already over there sitting in the desert waiting for one word or another. My unit has been extremely lucky in that we were initially supposed to be called up earlier but were not. A lot were not as lucky and have been sitting at some Army post or worse yet over there in the desert. I think most of the military would be highly pissed off if all this was called off and nothing came of it. One way or the other, this needs to be settled.
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Didn't the Brits send some 20,000+ troops? That's significant...
                  Actually, the last I heard, the Brits had committed 42,000 people to the Gulf (including naval personnel). A sizeable contribution indeed, especially once you consider that Britain is about 1/5 the size of the US in terms of population, and even less in terms of GDP. That would make for an equivalent US contribution of over 200k (or, roughly what the US is committing).
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Dear Mobius,

President Bush is constitutionally obliged to take action against adversaries who threaten national security.
                    I.E. Iraq.

"I am not surprised by anti-Americanism, but it is a foolish indulgence. For all their faults, and all nation's have them, the U.S. is a force for good.---Tony Blair

Stick that in your ditty bag.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      President Bush is constitutionally obliged to take action against adversaries who threaten national security.
                      I.E. Iraq.
                      Define threat to national security. Prove Iraq is such.

And where does it say in the Constitution the President is obligated to undertake foreign wars for any reason?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Iraq is no threat to national security because for a start we all know that there is no concrete link between Iraq and Al-Qaeda.

Secondly as I said earlier:

I actually believe that Al-Qaeda has more chance of getting these weapons if Saddam's regime disintegrates through the US attacks, and whoever's guarding any WoMD decides to skeddadle with the gear and sell it to Al-Qaeda...

Tell me why this scenario isn't likely to happen, and then remind just why it is you want to attack Iraq again...?

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

After the briefings we had this weekend, any illusions of a good year were brought back to cold reality. Lets just say that after it was all over with, I added some more onto my insurance just to be sure my family would be protected. Thankfully what I added was really cheap since I got it through my National Guard Association and they pay out within 24 hours upon notification of death. That way my family won't have to be in a bind until my other insurance makes it's way through the paperwork.
                          hey stop it! You'll do just fine!

take care...
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

We're just waiting for the troops to be in place. If we have to wait for the forces that have to reposition themselves from Turkey, well then we have at least 2 more weeks. For one thing I don't know if they are on their way to the Gulf yet. If we don't wait for them, then they could go pretty much any time.

With Turkey going south on us, I see nothing standing in the way of an independant Kurdish state. That deal was bugging me anyway.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Mobius and Boris need those tanks on their street before it's "proof".

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                                Since I'll be giving a year of my life (maybe the rest of it if the winds happen to be right) for this enterprise, I think I'll say lets get the damn thing done with.

Mobius and Boris need those tanks on their street before it's "proof".
                                naw, they're just cynical as hell... and perhaps justifiablely so...
                                "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                                - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                                Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X