Roll call: Gulf War II stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The poll starter is in error.

UNSCR 1441 gives authority for war, so UNLESS a resolution is passed nullifing it, the US ALREADY has SC approval.

Which is all meaningless, since UNSC approval, like France's objections, are ENTIRELY based on self interest, not what's best.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

i used to be against the war, but a lot of my friends in the military are very much for it, and as they're the buggers who are actually going to be doing the fighting then i feel the least i can do is support it
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Damn, people, either you're very low on self-confidence, or you're giving terrorists WAAAAAAAY too much credit. Or it's a combination of both.
        it's not so much that. i'm absolutely mortified that i might fail to raise my kids in a non-liberal environment, so they'll get some stupid silly idea like going to those places to "help" other people.

damn kids these days. always going on and on about this stupid "community service" bs.
        B♭3

Comment

US citizen and dont think we should go it alone.

Why pis$ away strong alliances built since WW2 over a tinpot like saddam? It's also too damn expensive. Take care of our own first before going off on far-flung expeditions.
          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

we're not going there to help people.

we are going there to lowe the price of a barrel of oil to close to $10

We are there to show we are the strongest nation, not some weak nation that will back down against a bully who defies us .

It has nothing to do with helping people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
              UNSCR 1441 gives authority for war, so UNLESS a resolution is passed nullifing it, the US ALREADY has SC approval.
              That doesn't make any difference - it is perception which counts. And if you go it alone, the rest of the world will hate the US with a vengence, and not without reason.

In EU2 parlance, your badboy will shoot through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                i used to be against the war, but a lot of my friends in the military are very much for it, and as they're the buggers who are actually going to be doing the fighting then i feel the least i can do is support it
                Good point.

I discounted UN's previous approval, as it has turned into intolerable feet dragging.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

it's not so much that. i'm absolutely mortified that i might fail to raise my kids in a non-liberal environment, so they'll get some stupid silly idea like going to those places to "help" other people.
                  What do you mean by that?
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Since I'll be giving a year of my life (maybe the rest of it if the winds happen to be right) for this enterprise, I think I'll say lets get the damn thing done with.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

How about "I'm a US citizen and I'm not for war, regardless of UN support"
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

(maybe the rest of it if the winds happen to be right)
                        Don't talk like that.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

The UN is impotent. They make "demands" and invariably waffle.
                          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                            That doesn't make any difference - it is perception which counts. And if you go it alone, the rest of the world will hate the US with a vengence, and not without reason.
                            In reality parlence, the roster for Europe.
                            Support US:
                            All-Minus France and Germany.

Oppose US
                            France and Germany.

And believe me, the hate will be spread, and rightfully so.
                            Anything for a Franc (or Euro, to say it the way it is now)
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                              The poll starter is in error.

Which is all meaningless, since UNSC approval, like France's objections, are ENTIRELY based on self interest, not what's best.
                              Cite please. I've read the text of 1441, and nowhere does it give any authorization of military action if its terms are not met. It simply says Iraq faces "dire consequences" should the UN not be satisfied with its compliance. And it's up to the UN to decide what those consequences should be.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

Don't talk like that.
                                After the briefings we had this weekend, any illusions of a good year were brought back to cold reality. Lets just say that after it was all over with, I added some more onto my insurance just to be sure my family would be protected. Thankfully what I added was really cheap since I got it through my National Guard Association and they pay out within 24 hours upon notification of death. That way my family won't have to be in a bind until my other insurance makes it's way through the paperwork.
                                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                                X