No announcement yet.

Iraq agrees to destroy missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, Atlanticism is something precious, and we'd all have been better if all the diplomatic barking had been avoided. However, I don't think we should obey the US if we radically disagree with it (for imperialistic or moralistic reasons, whatever), because we are an independent country.
    It is normal to look for compromise when both positions are conciliable, but it is abnormal France, as an independent country (I know you Americans hold high standards for independance) would have to obey the US unconditionally for the sake of atlanticism.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Just a quibble - those in US who support the admin on Iraq are not "pro-war". we long for peace. we feel that this war now, will advance the long term interests of peace. I realize that one might say that about many wars and be wrong, but i refuse to be tagged as less pro-peace than some whose actions i think have in many instances obstructed peace.

My feelings EXACTLY
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        Sure, Atlanticism is something precious, and we'd all have been better if all the diplomatic barking had been avoided. However, I don't think we should obey the US if we radically disagree with it (for imperialistic or moralistic reasons, whatever), because we are an independent country.
        It is normal to look for compromise when both positions are conciliable, but it is abnormal France, as an independent country (I know you Americans hold high standards for independance) would have to obey the US unconditionally for the sake of atlanticism.
        No one that I know of is asking you to obey the US.

What the US is asking is for countries to obey obligations that they have already voted for.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          Could you please cite the resolution for us??
          37/253 1983, Generally covers the Turkish Occupation.

There are 20+ SC resolutions on Cyprus.

Comment

LoMa :
            Sorry, didn't see your quibble when writing my previous reply. I used "pro-peace" and "pro-war" loosely, for the sake of expressing myself clearly. In my definition "pro-peace" and "pro-war" means whether you favor war against Iraq now or not. These words are not intended to classify between people who want war on principle or not.
            France, who seems to support war in an undetermined future, is "pro-peace" at the moment in my vocabulry, but will turn "pro-war" when it'll send troops to kill Iraqis.

However, I'm sure the Bush administration is "pro-war" in the worst sense. I came to think war in itself is not a tool for the Bush admin, but a goal. IMHO, the whole Saddam thing is just an easy pretext for the admin to reach its warlike agenda.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
              What the US is asking is for countries to obey obligations that they have already voted for.
              1441 was deliberately poorly worded because the crisis in the UN had to be resolved quickly by the time. The poor wording postponed the crisis on the interpretation, but I guess diplomats were hoping they'd have time to find an agreement in the extra time.
              Too bad, the rift between France/Germany and the US has gotten worse, and as such, 1441 still didn't find a unanimity behind the words "serious consequences".

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz

37/253 1983, Generally covers the Turkish Occupation.

There are 20+ SC resolutions on Cyprus.
                37/253 is a general assembly resolution(and thus non-binding). We are discussing UNSC resolutions.
                The site you point to lists over 70, passed over a course of more than 30 years, including over 20 passed before Turkey invaded Cyprus. Could you please be more specific??
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz
                  How many countries are in violation
                  of UN rulings? Turkey, Israeli are for sure, maybe the
                  US should attack them.
                  Which of those rulings authorize and mandate force?
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

1441 was deliberately poorly worded because the crisis in the UN had to be resolved quickly by the time. The poor wording postponed the crisis on the interpretation, but I guess diplomats were hoping they'd have time to find an agreement in the extra time.
                    Too bad, the rift between France/Germany and the US has gotten worse, and as such, 1441 still didn't find a unanimity behind the words "serious consequences".
                    Spiff: I still contend that there is unanimity behind "serious consequences". The debate is over implementation of the resolution. France says that inspections should procede to force disarmament ( with a doubtful chance of success, in my opinion). 1441 says that Iraq must do this both immediately and voluntarily. France's position has been and still is that serious consequences could involve the use of force.

Thus the question is about timing. I believe that France voted for immediate and voluntary disarmament with full knowledge of what it meant. The current debate is eithier due to the fact that they now feel it was an ill considered vote, or they are trying to gain world political stature through "standing up to the US". In eithier case the resolution is binding on all members and their is NO debate on what serious consequences means among any of the parties involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Which of those rulings authorize and mandate force?
                      General Assembly resolutions cannot authorize force. This is reserved to the security council.

Comment

Plato :
                        I thought the upcoming "2nd resolution" on the Iraq issue is precisely intended to bring the word "force" in a UN resolution ?
                        I admit my sources on the topic are biased (French left-wing news). Do you know where I can find the official speeches countries held at the time 1441 was passed ? You seem to know much more about the UN than I do. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark Could you please be more specific??
                          No,

I'm not searching though all that crap without knowing where your going with this. If you don't believe Turkey is in violation, that's OK. Just say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            The UN should just make resolutions it has no intention of enforcing. -=Vel=-
                            Like 37/253 it seems.

Comment

Plato :
                              I thought the upcoming "2nd resolution" on the Iraq issue is precisely intended to bring the word "force" in a UN resolution ?
                              I admit my sources on the topic are biased (French left-wing news). Do you know where I can find the official speeches countries held at the time 1441 was passed ? You seem to know much more about the UN than I do. Thx
                              Spiffor, while the use of force is a componet in the second resolution it is, to my understanding, a resolution that will mainly declare Saddam is in violation of 1441.

The Uk would feel more comfortable using "serious consequences" if all were in agreement that 1441 had been violated. The US position is that it is clear that 1441 has been violated and thus no further resolution is needed.

I will locate the info you have requested and post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                                General Assembly resolutions cannot authorize force. This is reserved to the security council.
                                That was my point.
                                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X