Iraq agrees to destroy missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from cnn.com

"Iraq has agreed in principle to begin destruction of its Al Samoud 2 missiles, according to a letter Baghdad sent to U.N. weapons inspectors. But it says it wants a technical mission to discuss the details. "

I am sure. Saddam has been playing games for 12 years and this sounds a whole lot like more game. Krazyhorse I think you have to be the only person to believe Saddam sincerely is willing to go along with inspections.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      A bunch of folks here seem to be frothing at the mouth over what is an acceptance of UN demands.

In all seriousness Frogger, I think we all expected an 11th hour commitment from Iraq to comply on this point. Blix had laid it out plane on this one. To have said no would have eroded the political support that Saddam is getting in France & Germany.

Does this mean that he will now fully comply with 1441? I doubt it, and so does everone else that you say appears to be frothing at the mouth.

No one will be happier than me if the world gets full compliance. No one will be more suprised eithier.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

How so?

a) I don't think Saddam has had some sort of revelation
        b) It's quite possible (probable?) that Saddam has some banned weapons, specificall some stocks of mustard or VX gas
        c) It doesn't matter; the inspectors' job is to keep a lid on his activities, not make him as pure as the driven snow
        d) His capabilities today are a small fraction of what they were 10 years ago. The inspections have and continue to work. If nothing else, time is not on his side; all of Powell's unfortunate ramblings aside, there's no evidence of continued acquisition of CBN weapons on any significant scale inside Iraq, and the old weapons won't keep forever
        e) The "Al-Qaeda connection" is laughable
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't want to see full compliance. I want Hussein gone. Like yesterday.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That's the point. So stop the US gov't lying about its intentions.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have much influence with Bush, Frogger.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The rest of the world has seen through the flimsy excuse you've been feeding them, Dan. It'd be funny if it weren't going to end up with so many dead Iraqis.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

you've been feeding them, Dan

Ay oh. Oh ay.

I must have skipped a couple of pay grades.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    I don't want to see full compliance. I want Hussein gone. Like yesterday.
                    DanS, I won't argue against you!

However, I don't believe that it is possible to get full compliance with Saddam in charge. So the outcome would remain the same.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      you've been feeding them, Dan

Ay oh. Oh ay.

I must have skipped a couple of pay grades.
                      I don't mean you personally, Dan.

I actually find you pretty honest most of the time.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I actually think you're not a huge pain in the ass most of the time, Frogger.
                        Last edited by DanS; February 27, 2003, 21:18.

Comment

Then why are the inspectors continually stating that Iraq isn't fully cooperating? Why would Saddam say he wouldn't destroy missles in the first place? Saddam has resisted pressure disarm for over 12 years now, and it doesn't look as though is he is serious about cooperating with Blix now.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I saw Saddam Hussein on CBS last night in an interview with Dan Rather. What a nice guy! He's a caring man who believes in helping the Iraqi and American people. He puts his faith in Allah, and would never do anything to harm anyone.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              I saw Saddam Hussein on CBS last night in an interview with Dan Rather. What a nice guy! He's a caring man who believes in helping the Iraqi and American people. He puts his faith in Allah, and would never do anything to harm anyone.

Saddam Hussein ... *sigh*... hes sooo dreamy...
                              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                                A bunch of folks here seem to be frothing at the mouth over what is an acceptance of UN demands.

Count me in.

Saddam accepting these demands is a bad idea. As the US will go to war against him any way, he should keep the missiles to lob them on the US forces.

But he has never been the greatest of strategists, is *my* complaint with Saddam.
                                Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Working...
                                X