No announcement yet.

Gods and Generals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to see it this morning, but then this damnable concept called "work" set in. Now I've got to deal with moving and crap, so I won't get to see it until Monday a.m.

Lawrence: You're confusing "right" with "ability to act and enforce one's right against foreign aggression.

Iraq and lots of little countries (like all of the ones in this this entire hemisphere) more or less in theory have a right to national sovereignty. If their "right" to sovereignty hinges upon their ability to resist the military aggression of the United States, then they're royally screwed.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

By the same token, MtG, if your "right" to property hinges upon your ability to resist my gun, then you're totally screwed.

Same argument, right?
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can shoot your ass off, David. In more ways than one.

The War of Yankee Aggression proved that rights without some means to adequately secure them are ephemeral.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Moving? Where ya going?

And of course, since the SCOTUS couldn't settle the seccession argument, the US Army did it for them .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
            By the same token, MtG, if your "right" to property hinges upon your ability to resist my gun, then you're totally screwed.

Same argument, right?
            DF,

The same goes the other way. Your right to property is protected only by force. That's why the government works for the rich. That's why the rich should pay higher taxes
            "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
            "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
            "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

making it sound even worse than Gettysburg
              But how can you not love a movie where mainers save the day!?!?!
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Killer Angles is a great book! But Gettysburg stinks to high heaven!

Gods and Generals is also a great book. But it's great power is the way it takes you into the mind of the generals. You see what Hancock sees, and feel what he feels when he stumbles upon the vunerable part of the Confederate army...and is ordered to withdraw. You are taken into Stonewall Jackson's mind as he lies dying. No movie can do that. Instead, the movie will be just another Civil War shoot 'em up.

Comment

I saw the movie a few hours ago.

Bruce Boxleitner as General Longstreet was my favorite part of the movie. They should have gave him more to do. Military guys with cigars are great. Captain Sheridan in a Civil War setting with a cigar is even better.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

MtG,

I can shoot your ass off, David. In more ways than one.
                    Probably, but what's your point? Are you, then, saying that MY right to property hinges upon MY ability to resist your gun?

Duncan,

The same goes the other way. Your right to property is protected only by force.
                    Naturally.

That's why the government works for the rich.
                    That isn't true at all. The true purpose of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property. Even if you don't have much property, everyone has the same amount of life and liberty.

That's why the rich should pay higher taxes
                    I've pointed out the problems with this argument before. If the rich pay higher taxes, and those taxes are used to fund wealth transfer programs to the poor, then the government is in fact working roughly equally for everyone, or, more likely, in favor of the poor. Therefore, it's unfair to force the rich to pay higher tax rates.
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

From what I've heard, the movie is long-winded (like Gettysburg), and entirely neglects to mention slavery at all.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

From what I've heard, the movie is long-winded (like Gettysburg), and entirely neglects to mention slavery at all.
                        If I'm going to see a Civil War movie, I want lots of fighting. I don't want to hear about how unjust slavery was - I already know that. I just want to see some cool battles.

Comment

The thing is, the movie supposedly tries to include moral justifications, where the generals make long-winded speeches before battles and so forth. If you're going to do that (which is a pretty stupid idea, IMO), you might as well do it competently.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Ah. Good point.

Comment

The US Civil War. All that pain, agony and suffering. And I am talking about viewing this so-called movie, not the fighting those poor soldiers had to do.

Last Civil War movie I truely enjoyed was The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Comment

Outlaw Josey Wales was better.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X