No announcement yet.

Gods and Generals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funniest part is some of the reviews are upset that the movie treats Southerners as people who acted like they were fighting against invasion and not for slavery!

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; February 21, 2003, 20:19.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

You mean Patrick Swayze and Stacey Keach? How odd...
      Which one has the cheesy moustache and played Mike Hammer?

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Which one has the cheesy moustache and played Mike Hammer?

ACK!
        That would be Keach.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          The funniest part of some of the reviews is that they treat Southerners as people who acted like they were fighting against invasion and not for slavery!

We were fighting against an invasion. The Yankees weren't yet fighting for slavery (at least the vast majority of them and the government), they were fighting to subjugate and conquer the independent, sovereign Confederate States of America, and to forcibly return us to a union with which we collectively wiped our asses.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

That would be Keach.
            Got it:

Stacy Keach= Cheesy moustache, dirty language

Patrick Swayze Cheesy movies, Dirty Dancing.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

We were fighting against an invasion. The Yankees weren't yet fighting for slavery (at least the vast majority of them and the government), they were fighting to subjugate and conquer the independent, sovereign Confederate States of America, and to forcibly return us to a union with which we collectively wiped our asses.
              You apparently missed a few place. Seeing as the the toilet paper in which you wiped your asses came back and kicked your asses.

ACK!

Comment

The Charmin was more durable then they thought

And besides, states have no right to succeed from the union. Those states committed high treason and their crimes shoul never be forgotten.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

MtG: I have NO idea what I posted there! I edited it to say what I wanted it to me.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, according to the Centers for Disease Control, diabetes, heart disease, heart attacks and strokes are doing in them rebels more efficiently than anything the North could've ever thrown at 'em.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      MtG: I have NO idea what I posted there! I edited it to say what I wanted it to me.
                      That's funny, this post really makes less sense than the last one.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                        The Charmin was more durable then they thought

And besides, states have no right to succeed from the union. Those states committed high treason and their crimes shoul never be forgotten.
                        States (at least the original signatory states, for the others it's sort of case by case depending on how they came into the union) have every right to secede.

Nothing in the Constitution says that signatories are permanently bound, nothing spells out any remedies for non-performance or malfeasance by the Federal government, the Ninth Amendment expressly states that the enumeration of certain rights does not deny or disparge others retained by the people, and the Tenth Amendment expressly states that all rights not expressly reserved to the Federal government are reserved to the States or to the People.

And states can't commit treason, only individuals.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Why are they still making Civil War movies? I thought Gone With The Wind said it all... Or maybe Birth Of A Nation...

Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

Nothing in the Constitution says that signatories are permanently bound, nothing spells out any remedies for non-performance or malfeasance by the Federal government, the Ninth Amendment expressly states that the enumeration of certain rights does not deny or disparge others retained by the people, and the Tenth Amendment expressly states that all rights not expressly reserved to the Federal government are reserved to the States or to the People.
                            Well thats quite irrelevant seeing what happened to the last batch of states who succeeded.
                            Force has made it an amendment.

Maybe states cannot commit treason, but the individuals who run them did.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

So if someone gets forcibily stopped from doing something, it means they don't have the right to do it? By your statement "they didn't have the right to," you made a pretension of having some basis for your statement. Obviously, you didn't.

If you say, I don't think they should have, or, I don't think they should have the right to, that's an entirely different matter.
                              If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

Has anyone seen the movie yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X