Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FBI wants to talk to you = handcuffed for hours in JFK

Americans grill Greek on N17

Athens confirmed yesterday that a Greek mathematics professor had been interrogated by government officials in the USA last week regarding the November 17 terrorist group, but denied that he had been arrested.

“The professor, Mr Angelopoulos, had gone to America for a book presentation, I think,” government spokesman Christos Protopappas said. “He was detained, in the form of a discussion, for four hours at the airport by the US authorities on the matter of November 17, and was then released.”

Eugenios Angelopoulos teaches at the National Technical University of Athens, in the Mathematics Department. Reports yesterday said he had known alleged N17 mastermind Alexandros Yotopoulos in Paris, which was why the US authorities had wanted to talk to him.

Synaspismos Left Coalition party described the incident as “an arrogant, hegemonistic display toward [America’s] vassals in the international alliance against terrorism.”

NOVEMBER 22, 1951 PLASTIRAS TAKEN ILL: According to a medical bulletin issued from the prime minister’s political bureau yesterday (November 15), Prime Minister Nikolaos Plastiras was troubled by some chest pains last Thursday which forced him to remain in bed. The bulletin, signed by his doctors Professor N. Tsaboulas, K. Maroulis head of the Red […]

Professor describes JFK ordeal

An Athens academic detained by US officials last week for a grilling on the November 17 terrorist group was held in handcuffs and fetters for hours at a New York airport without being told why, or being charged, university authorities said.

In his report to Greece’s consul in New York, made public yesterday by the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) staff union, NTUA mathematics professor Eugenios Angelopoulos was held for five-and-a-half hours at JFK Airport last Wednesday after arriving for a philosophy conference.

“I was twice fingerprinted, photographed and handcuffed,” the report quoted him saying. “I was kept waiting for two hours with fetters and chains on my legs.” Officials allegedly said he had no legal rights under US law, as officially he was not on US territory. Eventually he was told the FBI wanted to see him. When he spoke to FBI officials, the professor says he was given to understand that he would be paid to name N17 members. “I told them I had nothing for sale,” he said. Angelopoulos knew N17’s alleged mastermind in Paris during the 1960s.

NOVEMBER 22, 1951 PLASTIRAS TAKEN ILL: According to a medical bulletin issued from the prime minister’s political bureau yesterday (November 15), Prime Minister Nikolaos Plastiras was troubled by some chest pains last Thursday which forced him to remain in bed. The bulletin, signed by his doctors Professor N. Tsaboulas, K. Maroulis head of the Red […]

learn something new everyday: JFK is not US territory....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

What a perfect commercial slogan; "Go to JFK for the Josef K experience"

Comment

...Christos Protopappas...

PROTOPAPPAS??

A preliminary version of a father?

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

no, Pappas=Priest
        so that would "High Priest" or something

back to the topic please??

Comment

Damn, they've already got most of the European Poly-ers angry. Now they've finished that up by getting on the Greeks.
          The FBI's done pretty good angering Americans...when can we plan the united world revolt?
          ---
          BTW, didn't you know? JFK is in Sweden. :duh:

We need a :duh: smiley
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

JFK= Jönköping Fotboll Klubb?

Comment

:duh:?
              we have
              and is close...

can we stop with the threadjacking?

btw, i thought the FBI can only act inside US territory. if JFK isnt US territory, then the whole thing was illegal???

Comment

Soon the FBI is going to start the whole "six degrees of separation" thing. You know this guy who knows this guy who knows this guy who is possibly connected to Saddam Hussein... YOU'RE GOING TO GUANTANAMO!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

older Apolytoners who lived in Paris during the 60's should be carefull. did you knew any Greeks back then?

Comment

Sorry Mark, I'm just a bit tired. And an

FBI = funny business incoming... Should I be afraid, since my great grandfather was a hardcore communist?

Apparently the FBI has the right to do whatever they want to in the name of anti-terrorism.

Using the same analogies, I should be put in jail for "being a possible rapist" because I'm physically able to rape a woman.

Comment

What part of JFK isn't considered U.S. soil?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Reread. He's saying that they claimed it wasn't in order to have him think that he had no protection/rights...
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If they did that, it sounds like it could be unconstitutional. Don't know, though...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                            Reread. He's saying that they claimed it wasn't in order to have him think that he had no protection/rights...
                            I know that's what they claimed, I was just wondering if it is true or not...perhaps some part of the international airport is deemed international territory? Though that would seem to negate the FBI's jurisdiction...
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well, it seems like he wasn't officially on US soil. Maybe he was wearing some hover-shoes of some sorts...

Comment

Working...
                              X