No announcement yet.

Wimps, weasels and monkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be remembered in this discussion that all the things mentioned in the Guardian Story involve columnists, editoral, and talk shows... not News Casts or News Stories.

One expects to find "opinions" in such places. And when it comes to opinion, the Euros have been just as strong in their American Bashing.

So what's the problem here?
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I certainly don't think there's a problem with the American media (save for possibly NewsCorp's stuff) concerning France-bashing. The opinion of most columnists/journalists/telejournalists/etc. is definitely leaning against France, though, which is sad.

EDIT: And by "media" I mean serious newscasts and newspaper articles.

It's their right to feel that way, of course, but it's still a sad state of affairs.

Willie calling the French "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys": FUNNY
      Jonah friggin' Goldgberg saying the same: NOT FUNNY

Damn him for ruining that Simpsons joke for me!
      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I can't believe that Thomas Friedman wants France booted off the Security Council. The French should be worried when a columnist of Friedman's caliber turns against them...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          I can't believe that Thomas Friedman wants France booted off the Security Council. The French should be worried when a columnist of Friedman's caliber turns against them...
          The French should be worried about what? An American columnist??

Comment

European media is hardly complementary about americans
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

But when you've got supposedly serious columnists making this sort of comment, I find it a bit much.

I haven't seen the American media report on anything this insulting that's making the rounds in Europe...
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

America seems to be throwing a giant tantrum at the moment.

Beats me why they care so much about beating up a third rate dictator in an insignificant fourth rate country.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Well, I suggest you search for a comparable amount of antiamerican vitriol in european newspapers, including the opinion pieces. eg

www.bild.de (tabloid)
                  Nachrichten aus Deutschland und aller Welt mit Kommentaren und Hintergrundberichten.

News, Nachrichten und aktuelle Meldungen aus allen Ressorts. Politik, Wirtschaft, Sport, Feuilleton und Finanzen im Überblick.

Good luck.
                  “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Yes, let's listen to Rupert Murdoch!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

this murdoch guy is extremely anti-french, it's nothing new

I wondered what happened to him in his early childhood? Did he get raped by a truckman with a camembert breath called Maurice?

Comment

Yeah, go on, Ming- where are your antiamerican column examples? I'd be interested if you could find any at all directed at the American populace as a whole.
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

You guys still don't understand us, do you?

Yes! We are brasher, and louder than Europeans. When we get frustrated, we tend to let that venom seep into our words. This, I realize, is utterly shocking to the more refined sensibilities of our European counterparts, but it's just another way that our rough edges show through.

We get p*ssed, we spout off about it, and we get over it. (of course, France and Germany ought not hold their breaths that Dubya will just "get over" their latest shenanigans....as a Texan, he falls under a slightly different subset of Americans, and....well, let's just say...."don't count on it.")

What you are seeing may, from your European perspective, appear like rage, but it is more along the lines of "national venting." Nobody here *really* hates Euros, we're just annoyed, because for all of Europe's b*itching, we've not seen the first alternative idea from them! No wait! yes we have! France and Germany have been "working on" an idea that's basically a carbon copy of the one the American's floated sometime last year, but which the Euros shot down! ::shakes head:: And you wonder why we get p*ssed?

In a nutshell, we tend to have a short fuse for this stuff because our problem solving methodologies are somewhat different:

Typical American Problem Solving Methodology:
                          1) Identify the Problem
                          2) Formulate a solution
                          3) Test solution. If failure results, go back to 2, changing the variables each time

Typical European Problem Solving Methodology, as seen from the American Perspective:
                          1) Identify the Problem
                          2) Whine that America is ignoring the problem
                          3) Whine when America pays attention to the problem
                          4) Complain about America's proposed solution to the problem
                          5) Complain about the resolution of the problem
                          6) Form a sub-committee to discuss the problem
                          7) Talk about fixing the problem, and discuss the ins-and-outs of how a "European solution" to the problem would be dramatically superior to those bumble-headed Americans and their ignorant solution.
                          8) Talk about the problem some more
                          9) Ignore the problem for a while to see if it will go away
                          10) Complain that the problem hasn't gone away yet, and complain that the Americans are too slow acting to remedy the situation
                          11) Complain when the Americans move faster to remedy the situation
                          12) Hold additional meetings to discuss the problem
                          13) Try a tentative solution, or, if the Americans are already fixing it, offer some assistance.
                          14* (assumes the Americans are not already fixing the problem) - if the tentative solution fails, try it again the EXACT same way....you never know, last time might have just been an aberration.

15) Repeat step fourteen until the Americans arrive.

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I was just positive this thread was about Ming, RAH, and MtG.

But I absolutely concur with the viewpoint of Velociryx.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Of course some in europe try and stop the problem but have to wait 2 years for the americans to help whilst in the meantime giving them evrything they own.
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

What do you want Stinger?
                                Look at your post. Look at some others.
                                Another example of damned no matter what.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X