Recommend Provost a new car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Provost a new car!

Well I have been figuring out my finances, and with the unreliability of my car I have decided it is time to get rid of it and invest in something else as it is getting very expensive to maintain. I have a Peugeot 106 1.1 and I am looking for something bigger, both physically and engine-wise. But within reason, I cannot afford huge insurance premiums or fuel costs. A diesel will be looked at seriously too due to their economy with fuel...

So come on, any suggestions? And none of those ridiculous American fuelguzzlers please
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Ford Taurus! Gets a million miles to a gallon of gas, and runs for a million miles!

Stylish too!

No really Provost, you're looking for a Ford Taurus...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

What sort of things do you need your new car to perform? Are you married with a family to haul around or are you a single guy? Do you want a 4-door or 2-door? Are you the convertable type of would a people carrier be more your style? Most importantly you will have to tell us what price range you are looking in other wise you'll get suggestions from all over the field.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There are some very nice Bugatti's on show in Auckland. Only $2m.

Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Skoda Fabia
          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

There's loads of ones you could go for. My parents got a Citroen Xantia turbo diesel a few years ago, which is economical, smooth and quite nice to drive, but the servicing is almost twice as much as when we had a Ford (something about being a French car in Britain apparently )

Personally, if you're looking for a diesel, I like the Alfa Romeo (147, 156 and 166 all have turbo diesels). It's not too big or too small, it looks great, it drives nicely, it sounds great, better than most petrol cars, and it's not exactly sluggish. Might be a bit pricy to run though, not sure. Or you could go for something relativly mundane like a Focus. My friend has a 1.8 petrol that drives quite nicely. Or if you like Peugeot's you could try one of their bigger ones. Or even a new Mini

You looking at getting a new one or buying second hand? If economy's important, have you looked at LPG or duel fuel cars? They have similar (although not quite as good) performance, and the fuel has so much less duty on it, its about 30 odd pence per litre IIRC, and gives diesel like performance (not to mention being environmentally friendly). However you do have to cope with it taking up half your boot, and there are only 300 odd petrol stations that sell it IIRC.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
              Skoda Fabia
              How could I forget Skoda's? Great cars, cheap, reliable, nice to drive (at least the Octavia I tried was) that's if you can cope with the reputation
              Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

How could I forget Skoda's? Great cars, cheap, reliable, nice to drive (at least the Octavia I tried was) that's if you can cope with the reputation
                Who cares about its reputation? Its still a VW under the bonnet.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Ford Focus RS. It's cheap and fun to drive.
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    Who cares about its reputation? Its still a VW under the bonnet.
                    Exactly. It is sad that there is still a stigma attached to them, as they are good cars. However many people I know care about the reputation a car has, and the prestige it has.
                    Smile

Comment

I will have £3500 plus an R reg 106 with 79000 miles to trade in. So I cannot afford anything too flashy, although better than my present setup, of course
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, I like Skoda's, but alas too few are within the right price range at a decent age.
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

You're better off with an older japanese car than a newer almost anything else. I've given up on all the others.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Yeah, I quite fancy the look of the Nissan Almera...my mother has always sworn by Nissans, just that Nissans have an image as a bit of an 'old person's car' alas.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Are you fashion conscious or something?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X