Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheStinger
    Stupid generalisation of european countries of the day
    I can come up with 10x as many stupid generalizations of Americans by Europeans. I'm just giving a little back in return.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Free speech isn't considered untouchable in the French constitution, as well as the German fundamental law.*

In France, it is illegal to encourage murder or racial hate. Is is now illegal to boo the Marseillaise (you can expect this law will never be used, except on some rare occurences when our Police Minister wants to look good, but in these occurences, planty of people will be caught by the police)

In Germany, it is forbidden to create a nazi party or a communist party (the comunists do not use this name, as do the nazis)

There has been an overall lowering of civil liberties in France since Sept. 11. Mostly since our left winged government lost the elections, which gave all power to the right wing. I am glad you disagree with all this crap, too.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        Is everything that one group of americans propose something "america tired"
        They tried to get a constutional amendment to criminalize burning the American Flag, Right?

This motion would have had to have support from
        elected representatives to get anywhere, much less
        to a vote. Right?

Comment

The US is a free place to live as are the countries of Europe. It is different in the US but not better.

You do not get locked up or otherwise prevented from saying, or printing what you think in either the US or Europe.
          You're of course right but I made my sarcastic remark to counter the large numbers of Euros who've made "The sky is falling" type comments about the U.S. being a facist dictatorship. If you don't know what I'm talking about then check out the thread on the nonexistent Patriat Act 2.

Comment

I live in england, you don't have to go far to hear stupid comments about america
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The thing which gets up the nose of otherwise pro-americans such as myslef is the constany banging on about how free americans are compared to the rest of the world.

The US is a free place to live as are the countries of Europe. It is different in the US but not better.

You do not get locked up or otherwise prevented from saying, or printing what you think in either the US or Europe.

There are many faults with European countries, their freedom of speach is not one of them

I certainly did not mean to imply that Freedom of speech is endangered in Europe generally, or even in France in particular (I doubt occasionally locking up a Corsican for making a scene at a football match will have any effect on political debate in France) I was thinking more in terms of the propaganda emanating out of much of the European elite implying that the US is home of a raging cowboy patriotism, which Europeans have moved past due to their experiences of war, and which makes them much wiser judges of international affairs than we are. We have seen a fair amount of that on this forum.
              I know this charecterization of America, and even of the current administration to be false.

As I hope is clear, I am no Europhobe, and would like to see American policy in areas like health care become more like europes (well more like Germany's than Britain's, but you get the point)
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

Originally posted by Ozz
                They tried to get a constutional amendment to criminalize burning the American Flag, Right?

This motion would have had to have support from
                elected representatives to get anywhere, much less
                to a vote. Right?
                It has never even gotten to the point of voting. There were just a few poeple trying to get a petetion signed but they never got enough signatures.

Comment

Actually, there is a trend in bith France and Germany to strengthen the national ties. This had begun in Germany some years ago when Schröder came into power, and promoted a campaign for Germans to lose their WW2 complex. The aim was for the Germans not to feel ashamed of their country in all circumstances anymore.

In France, Chirac thinks one of his missions os to renew the national pride, because one of the reasons explaining Le Pen's success would be an identity crisis. The whole diplomatic barking re Iraq takes this factor into account, as well as the banning of Marseillaise-booing. Chirac know he has 5 years with nearly absolute power, so he tries to enter in history books and in the French's collective imagination as a new De Gaulle (who is a national hero)
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Free speech isn't considered untouchable in the French constitution

And it is in the US. That's the basis of the thought that France and Germany have less freedom of speech than the US. It's obvious.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Absolutely.

Therere different kinds of civil rights. Some are the forte of the US, some are more the forte of France (for example, we have an extremely good law regarding the protection of data, which is still one of the most progressive ones in the world 30 years after)

Comment

Can someone please provide a link. I did a search on the BBC and can't find any mention.

OK found it

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

FRANCE != EUROPE
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

yes, and if a country outside the US does something you don't like, you grant yourself the right to either get rid of the governement or to start a full scale war ... Sometimes i really wonder whether your personal freedom applies only to americans ...
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Sometimes i really wonder whether your personal freedom applies only to americans ...

And on to Belgium. Bomb them!

FRANCE != EUROPE

We can thank our lucky stars!
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

if a country outside the US does something you don't like, you grant yourself the right to either get rid of the governement or to start a full scale war ...
                                duh.... that is how all wars are started.

Sometimes i really wonder whether your personal freedom applies only to americans ...
                                Of course!!! Our intention is to attempt to apply them to everyone. Personal freedoms, IMO and the opinion of my government, is that everyone deserves certain rights. When other ppl attempt to take or supress these rights from/on anyone (even the minority) then yes we have something to say about it.

No one has the right to tell anyone else how to live... That is exactly what the evil dictators of the world do to their ppl. Yeah, I know you are thinking, "we'll that is what is America is doing"...right? Wrong...

America is giving those ppl under this single person the right to chose their leader, religion, occupation, and mode of expression. If someone really wants to live without the right to choose then... We'll then there you may be right.
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X