Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

BBC reports

" * It is now a criminal offence to insult the French flag or national anthem. Booing the Marseillaise now carries the risk of a fine of 7,500 euros and six months in prison."

Here in the US, despite the Patriot act, and the european impression that Bush has clamped down on civil liberties, it is still legal to boo during the national anthem, and proposed amendment to ban flag burning has not gotten anywhere.

Considering how Europeans claim that the US is the home of mindless nationalism/super-patriotism, and they have moved beyond nationalism, I find the above very difficult to understand.

Your comments please.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

The'll be trouble if England plays France at Football. The fans are bad enough when its legal.
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

BOOOOOOO!!!

*makes sure never to make a trip to France again*
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

Originally posted by lord of the mark proposed amendment to ban flag burning has not gotten anywhere.
        It not that America didn't try.
        The French succeed were America failed?

Comment

Re: Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          BBC reports

" * It is now a criminal offence to insult the French flag or national anthem. Booing the Marseillaise now carries the risk of a fine of 7,500 euros and six months in prison."

Here in the US, despite the Patriot act, and the european impression that Bush has clamped down on civil liberties, it is still legal to boo during the national anthem, and proposed amendment to ban flag burning has not gotten anywhere.

Considering how Europeans claim that the US is the home of mindless nationalism/super-patriotism, and they have moved beyond nationalism, I find the above very difficult to understand.

Your comments please.
          Can I have a link to the whole story.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Who said you were the only ones with a conservative administration ?

Our "great" administration also brought :
            - spread use of rubber bullets by the police against petty criminality
            - prisons for 13 years-olds (and lowering the limit to 10 years is in the talks)
            - police beating strikers
            ... And that's all the things on top of my head, in regard to reactionary security policy.

During the finale of the French Football Cup, some Corsican supporters booed the Marseillaise. Our newly elected president jumped on the occasion to get some cheap popularity, and left the his spectator seat, in full anger.
            This was a bit of a commotion in France, and it brought the light on this small incident. The government was more than pleased to forego its right-winged agenda.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Re: Illegal to boo the marseillaise????

Originally posted by Ozz

It not that America didn't try.
              The French succeed were America failed?
              "america tried"????? Some americans proposed it, others rejected it. Is everything that one group of americans propose something "america tired" or canadians, of french or whatver??? In that sense america "tried" national health insurance. France "tried " communism, etc.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

No, the Americans tried to do it. Therefore they are evil. Whether or not France actually did it is immaterial.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

France tried fighting in ww2
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Who said you were the only ones with a conservative administration ?

Our "great" administration also brought :
                    - spread use of rubber bullets by the police against petty criminality
                    - prisons for 13 years-olds (and lowering the limit to 10 years is in the talks)
                    - police beating strikers
                    ... And that's all the things on top of my head, in regard to reactionary security policy.

During the finale of the French Football Cup, some Corsican supporters booed the Marseillaise. Our newly elected president jumped on the occasion to get some cheap popularity, and left the his spectator seat, in full anger.
                    This was a bit of a commotion in France, and it brought the light on this small incident. The government was more than pleased to forego its right-winged agenda.

Here in america being conservative doesnt necessarily mean being against civil liberties. Some 'conservatives" were against the USA Patriot Act., and i suspect amny more would be agaisnt any pushing it much further, certainly anything as stupid as banning booing during the national anthem. Perhaps these conservatives would really be called "liberales" in europe, pro-business, pro-military, but also pro-civil liberty.

Comment

The difference between European propoganda and reality is that the Euros always say America is abridging free speech but in Europe they actually do it.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        The difference between European propoganda and reality is that the Euros always say America is abridging free speech but in Europe they actually do it.
                        Stupid generalisation of european countries of the day

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

Stupid generalisation of european countries of the day
                          Roight!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well he has to counter the stupid generalization of American for the day .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The thing which gets up the nose of otherwise pro-americans such as myslef is the constany banging on about how free americans are compared to the rest of the world.

The US is a free place to live as are the countries of Europe. It is different in the US but not better.

You do not get locked up or otherwise prevented from saying, or printing what you think in either the US or Europe.

There are many faults with European countries, their freedom of speach is not one of them

Comment

Working...
                              X