Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the average American understand the concept of haggling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRIAN:
    How much? Quick.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    What?
    BRIAN:
    It's for the wife.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Oh. Uhhh, twenty shekels.
    BRIAN:
    Right.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    What?
    BRIAN:
    There you are.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Wait a minute.
    BRIAN:
    What?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Well, we're-- we're supposed to haggle.
    BRIAN:
    No, no. I've got to get--
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    What do you mean, 'no, no, no'?
    BRIAN:
    I haven't time. I've got--
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Well, give it back, then.
    BRIAN:
    No, no, no. I just paid you.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Burt!
    BURT:
    Yeah?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    This bloke won't haggle.
    BURT:
    Won't haggle?!
    BRIAN:
    All right. Do we have to?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Now, look. I want twenty for that.
    BRIAN:
    I-- I just gave you twenty.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Now, are you telling me that's not worth twenty shekels?
    BRIAN:
    No.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Look at it. Feel the quality. That's none of your goat.
    BRIAN:
    All right. I'll give you nineteen then.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    No, no, no. Come on. Do it properly.
    BRIAN:
    What?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Haggle properly. This isn't worth nineteen.
    BRIAN:
    Well, you just said it was worth twenty.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Ohh, dear. Ohh, dear. Come on. Haggle.
    BRIAN:
    Huh. All right. I'll give you ten.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    That's more like it. Ten?! Are you trying to insult me?! Me, with a poor dying grandmother?! Ten?!
    BRIAN:
    All right. I'll give you eleven.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Now you're gettin' it. Eleven?! Did I hear you right?! Eleven?! This cost me twelve. You want to ruin me?!
    BRIAN:
    Seventeen?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    No, no, no, no. Seventeen.
    BRIAN:
    Eighteen?
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    No, no. You go to fourteen now.
    BRIAN:
    All right. I'll give you fourteen.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Fourteen?! Are you joking?!
    BRIAN:
    That's what you told me to say.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Ohh, dear.
    BRIAN:
    Ohh, tell me what to say. Please!
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Offer me fourteen.
    BRIAN:
    I'll give you fourteen.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    He's offering me fourteen for this!
    BRIAN:
    Fifteen!
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Seventeen. My last word. I won't take a penny less, or strike me dead.
    BRIAN:
    Sixteen.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Done. Nice to do business with you.
    BRIAN:
    Huh.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Tell you what. I'll throw you in this as well.
    BRIAN:
    I don't want it, but thanks.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Burt!
    BURT:
    Yeah?
    BRIAN:
    All right! All right! All right!
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Now, where's the sixteen you owe me?
    BRIAN:
    I just gave you twenty.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Oh, yeah. That's right. That's four I owe you, then.
    BRIAN:
    Well, that's all right. That's fine. That's fine.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    No. Hang on. I've got it here somewhere.
    BRIAN:
    That's all right. That's four for the gourd.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Four? For this gourd? Four?! Look at it. It's worth ten if it's worth a shekel.
    BRIAN:
    But you just gave it to me for nothing.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    Yes, but it's worth ten!
    BRIAN:
    All right. All right.
    HARRY THE HAGGLER:
    No, no, no, no. It's not worth ten. You're supposed to argue, 'Ten for that? You must be mad!' Ohh, well. [sniff] One born every minute
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

my sister haggles at circuit city and the like

she said she gets much better deals when her boyfreind is not along

when I was shopping with her (Iw as in the video game section) she got ~50 bucks off sometihng that costed 300

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

monty python... classic...
        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I just haggled for personal training sessions at my gym, think I did a pretty good job. So don't tell me I can't haggle.

My sister-in-law can argue anyone to give her a lower price. She's amazing when it comes to buying anything.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The reason most people don't haggle for things is because most things can't be haggled for.

Only certain items lend themselves to that kind of thing (houses, cars, some services, etc.)

Why don't you come here and try to haggle the price down from $0.65 for a Mars bar, Mobius.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's intentional. We're trying to make life miserable for other tourists out there.
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

So why do Americans not seem to grasp the concept, is it a cultural thing?
                Even if americans still use miles, gallons and all the other outdated measures, they have managed to evolve above such stupid unintelligent things as haggling!
                Poor people haggle in poor nations

Comment

Re: Why doesn't the average American understand the concept of haggling?

Originally posted by MOBIUS

It's not only Americans, Canadians are the same. It's just not a part of the way we do business here, never has been. If someone has a price listed on an item, we either pay it or we don't. It's what we've come to expect.

Comment

So those of you who don't haggle don't mind being ripped off in countries where haggling is a normal process. Like when you're tourists for example?
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

So those of you who don't haggle don't mind being ripped off in countries where haggling is a normal process. Like when you're tourists for example?
                      I'd say that the average American goes to a foreign country maybe once in their life, excepting Canada and Mexico. So they aren't really concerned with how much something costs and bargaining.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Why doesn't the average American understand the concept of haggling?

Travelling through SE Asia I was struck by this phenomenon basically wherever I saw Americans buying things...

Now I wouldn't mind so much as it's their money to spend, but it does begin to get annoying when it starts to affect my own ability to haggle given the artificially inflated 'price bubble' that seems to follow American tourist around wherever they go...

The concept is fairly simple, fun and saves you money as you should rarely if ever pay over 50% of the asking price (especially if you're american!) - it is de riguer in Asian countries, indeed much of the world including Western countries.

I don't know.

But I'm not American and I really, truely, honestly, absolutely, hate huggling. (but sometimes there's no other option).

Comment

We'd hardly be ripped off if we got head and a hair cut for five dollars, even if we could haggle her down to three. A deal is a deal.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I suspect that many Canadians don't even think about it, it's just not part of their mentality. Frankly I think it's good thing , at least for here. I shudder to think what the lines up at the supermarket would be like if everyone stopped and haggled. We'd never get out of the store!

Comment

I remember haggling in egypt, and that was really fun. but then again i was haggling for a hookah.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

I'd say that the average American goes to a foreign country maybe once in their life, excepting Canada and Mexico. So they aren't really concerned with how much something costs and bargaining.

ACK!
                                Then frankly that is an ignorant and (relatively) expensive standpoint - their call of course...

Case in point:

Sloww talks about paying if he thinks the price is fair. He is how that scenario plays out...

The locals know Americans will do this so they will inflate those prices knowing that the American will do a quick calculation somewhere on the lines of 'gee, that's really cheap', and pay the money.

We stayed at an awesome hotel in Ubud, the 'cultural capital' of Bali, being non Americans our starting price was 400,000 Rupiah for a night, which we reduced to 200,000 Rupiah (about US$20 for a seriously gorgeous room in a beautiful hotel).

In walk the American couple and for them the starting price is 800,000 Rupiah. The guys thinks for a few seconds and works out that US$80 is cheap for a place like this given his experience in the US and says 'OK'.

We stayed there several nights. Because we were not ignorant of the haggling system, we saved the equivalent of US$180 compared to the rates the Americans were paying. Last I heard US$180 wasn't exactly loose change even in the US...

That guy is laughing at you when he's taking your money because he's just scalped another sucker...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X