Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacks More Anti-miscegenationist Than Whites

From Salon Eyes on the prize

Nowadays, with the president's brother a miscegenationist, and the right's favorite black man, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, married to a white woman, it's hard to find anybody who will publicly attack interracial romance, beyond the fringes of white supremacist Web sites -- and, of course, the popular black media. Take November's Essence magazine, a glossy geared to black women, which featured a major spread headlined "Bring me home a black girl" by contributing editor Audrey Edwards, laying out how and why she's indoctrinated her stepson not to date white women.

In a recent Gallup/USA Today poll, 57 percent of teenagers said they'd dated someone from another race, up from 17 percent just 20 years ago. The number of interracial marriages has more than doubled in that same period, and while blacks are still less likely to marry outside their race than other minority groups, the number of black-white marriages has almost tripled. Maybe most remarkable, because Edwards is right that the trend has favored black men, the number of black women marrying white men has more than quadrupled, while the number of black men with white wives only doubled. In 1998, black-white couples in which the wife is black made up 37 percent of all black-white marriages nationwide, up from only 22 percent in 1980. It's not 50-50 parity yet, but at that rate of change, we'll get there soon.

Well, we all know what my view on the subject is. I went Black, I've never gone back. I hae to say, I've recieved more sh*t from Black people over my relationship ship with Bunnygrrl than I have from white folks. Hell, even my racist Grandmother didn't bat an eye (I have to say I'm proud of her, though apparently later she terrorized my father's house by taking off her clothes and refusing to leave--over other unrelated issues). But let she and I travel to the South side of Chicago and we get so many looks (course, I'm always the only white guy for miles).

Even this morning, Bunnygrrl and I were watching Undercover Brother (great movie, I highly recommend it), they made an issue of interracial dating. Sistah Girl says, "He slept with a white woman!" (White She-Devil, btw).
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I'd say it's black women raising the issue, from my experience.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Miscegenationist is a real word? You learn something new every day...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Racism comes in all colors.

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering what that word was when I saw the thread on the forum .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I thought it was a reference to guys who treat women badly - miscogenists?

Comment

misogynists
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

My best friend from college is black and is engaged to a white girl. Her family is very conservative Russian Orthodox, and at first her parents went ballistic, dad cut her off financially, etc. Later, as they grew to realize she was with Reggie to stay and that he was really, ya know, a good person, her dad actually apologized to him over his past behavior. Her brother, on the other hand, is a real nutjob and openly hopes for the day they break up.

Still, Reggie always has said that as a couple the dirtiest looks they get are from other other blacks. I've seen black women shooting daggers at them with their eyes just passing them on the street. I say they're just jealous because they see Reggie is one fine-lookin' brother.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

In my large, white family, one of my sisters has a black husband, one of my brothers has a Latino wife, and I only date Asian guys. My sister, who lives in Phoenix, has also mentioned that the most of the objections she encounters are from black women.

Incidentally, all parents concerned are content, and there are now five mixed race kids in the clan (2 black-white and 3 Latino-white) - a true sign of the times considering that my family is from rural Iowa.
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

My most serious relationship so far was with a really attractive latino girl. Too bad it ended so badly.
                    Unfortunately, not too much diversity on my campus. Needless to say, I like women, and for me that means women of all races. No point in narrowing your options!
                    p.s. mindseye if you're from IOWA you can't call yourself a Yankee! Yankees are only people from new england!
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

around where i live a lot of people have inter-racial relationships, ESPEACIALLY hispanic-caucasion relationships. My brother (who is white) has been dating a nice Vietnamese girl for a coupla years now. Nobody really cares here. Black-white relationships are more rare, but nobody seems to care none-the-less. There are always the few who do tho... no body pays them much attention

inter-racial relationships

Kman
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

It's not quite the same, but when I was dating a Jewish girl my parents reaction was quite...muted.

They're fairly devout Catholics. You do the math.
                        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

one day when i was a kid, i saw an episode of family matters (is that the one with urkel?) where the black son was pulled over in a white neighborhood, the episode was about racism.

at the time, i was probably 12 or so, and i was wondering why you never see black racists on TV shows.

but yes. racism comes in all colors.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

What I've often wondered is, why has there always been so many more black man/white woman couples than the reverse? (As the article pointed out, this is changing, but in the past the imbalance was huge.) The only reason I can think of is that part of the racist stereotype was that black men were sexually superior.
                            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Little
                              What I've often wondered is, why has there always been so many more black man/white woman couples than the reverse? (As the article pointed out, this is changing, but in the past the imbalance was huge.) The only reason I can think of is that part of the racist stereotype was that black men were sexually superior.
                              well, from what i can tell (which aint much) i believe this is a fairly accurate generalization. Tho, like all generalizations, it is not true for all... merely most. It would also be a good explaination for the reason of a large number of black male - white female couples.
                              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X