No announcement yet.

Russa Vs China: Who would win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The losing side would be far more likely to be the one on the offensive. In the current political climate anyway there is very little chance of a war going strategic-nuclear, but there's a good chance that a side on the defensive could get away with using tactical weapons against foreign forces on its own soil.

Even without this element the majority of the conflict (assuming a PRC offensive) would be fought in Siberia. Nobody goes anywhere in Siberia very quickly, opposing enemy forces or not - giving the Russians time to transfer forces from Europe or Central Asia (assuming an absence of a threat in those theatres).
    The technology aspect is a no brainer. China has made good strides recently but is still far inferior to Russia. Most of their most effective military hardware comes from Russia directly or is Russian-designed and manufactured under license.
    Combine these aspects and the smaller, more advanced, defensive Russian forces should be able to handle superior Chinese numbers.
    If the PRC were able to achieve some form of strategic surprise, create unrest or even full uprisings in central Asia to tie down Russian forces, blitz through poorly prepared defensive positions and occupy and hold a suitably small and defensive territory against a Russian counterattack then they might be able to convince the Russian government to cede it in a peace treaty. I couldn't see it happening otherwise though.

Comment

I'm no fan of the Chinese government, but Clancys take on them was just so extreme.

The action was good though.

BTW does the US military do anything wrong in Clancy books. hE seems to think they are almost infalliable
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The day the Chinese industrial output outstrips that of Russia, it's the day China can win the conventional war.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
          BTW does the US military do anything wrong in Clancy books. hE seems to think they are almost infalliable
          Not almost, are. I mean, even luck is on their side in Red Storm Rising.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

His views on trade are a little strange as are his views on the quality of non american goods
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Larry Bond is a better writer anyway.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                His views on trade are a little strange as are his views on the quality of non american goods
                Amen! He's a cross between a protectionist commie and a tradewar nazi.
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Yup. Both countries realise that a war between them with the US looming is A Stupid Idea.
                  You don't think that both governments would be more worried about lost trade than about America?

Never underestimate the pacifying power of commerce!

You can make people stand up for a political entity if they have nothing left to lose... but if (as in the case of both China and Russia) they've seen the value of life go up exponentially in the past few decades, then sending them off into the great conflagration is simply not an option.

Peasants will stand up and revolt if it means a better life for their children. Businessmen in cities will not because they have everything to lose.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Trade is pretty big with the US right now, but both have a very big internal market (at least potentially) so neither would become an export-oriented economy the way Japan or South Korea is.

Comment

Working...
                    X