English Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH
    One of the things that may be a factor is dubbing movies as compared to subtitles. I've noticed that the english is better in scandinavia where the movies and english (speaking) tv is subtitled compared to Germany where its mostly dubbed.
    True.
    In Belgium, french-speaking belgians have more problems then flemish-speaking belgians.
    Films are dubbed for french, subtitled for Flemish.

And not only films. Flemish radios let people talk in their own language and translate afterwards, while on french speaking radios the translation comes over the speaking person (although it slowly start to change, esp. on radio for younger people).
    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

And the fact that the south doesn't even want to try
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
        The english barely speak english properly.
        Hey! It's we Americans would take pride in our inability to speak English...or any other language for that matter. Just look at our President.

Comment

Re: English Language

Originally posted by Seeker
          The more I teach English the more I respect how good some our non-English posters English is.
          They are surprisingly Coca-colonised. But their written English tends to be much more adroit than their spoken.

Provost Harrison is very good,
          Yeah the Brits have decent English. I think they study it pretty early in school.
          Last edited by TCO; January 16, 2003, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
            Me like who the goodier talk and read. I now nothing the respect from you
            I miss Ottok. But I think he was a little screwed in the brain.

Comment

A lot of us starter even earlier than that.
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry

To learn french, try - what I do for english - french forums.
                Or a French girldfriend. Even if you don't learn anything, the loving is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Hey! It's we Americans would take pride in our inability to speak English...or any other language for that matter. Just look at our President.
                  Our Prime Minister has you beat, he can't speak eithier
                  French or English properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry

True.
                    In Belgium, french-speaking belgians have more problems then flemish-speaking belgians.
                    Films are dubbed for french, subtitled for Flemish.

And not only films. Flemish radios let people talk in their own language and translate afterwards, while on french speaking radios the translation comes over the speaking person (although it slowly start to change, esp. on radio for younger people).

Dutch (ooops...I mean Flemish) is pretty close to English in vocabulary. Like German.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                      And the fact that the south doesn't even want to try
                      Well what do you expect...

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                        Dutch (ooops...I mean Flemish)
                        It's Dutch; Flemish isn't a language, it's a dialect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

It's Dutch; Flemish isn't a language, it's a dialect.
                          The Phlegms don't like to hear that. Get very upitty. As you were confiscating a parliament or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X