No announcement yet.

English Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit OT:The english was by some test, the hardest european language to learn for infants, finnish was the easiest. It didn't have all european languages, only around 15 I recall. Finnish is easy, because every letter is allways pronounced the exact same way. If you see a new word in finnish, you know damn well how to pronounce it, there are no exceptions.
    WHoops! I should have made these separate, doesn't make much sense for infants to try to read now does it.
    More OT from me. This time totally off topic. Seeker, I'm not sure if I asked about this some time ago earlier. I was supposed to, but I can't remember anymore... Since you are over there, do you know who is Yohwan Lim, and what is his "sport"? I bet every kid knows. But how are the other generations and you aware of the gaming mania there? Is it as big as the gamers in rest of the world think it is. If you don't even know what I'm talking about, I guess the answer is no

Comment

The english barely speak english properly. Half the time, the language my friends and I speak isn't the same English I was taught in schools but a weird tongue full of glottal stops and strange pronounciations.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Here in Italy they dub everything.

that's probably one of the reasons Italians generally are not so good as the other Euros in English.

The language is taught in middle school, and you can take it again in high school if you want (or you can go for another language instead... generally French, German or Spanish).

(Which is what I did BTW, 3 years on English in Middle School, and than 5 years of German in High school)

English teachers in Italy most of the time are British (no Americans ) so if you study it well enough, you can learn a good british pronounciation. Although I must agree with tinyp3nis that TV could be another good place to learn it.... if only they stopped dubbing everything

Saluti
        "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
        The trick is the doing something else."
        — Leonardo da Vinci
        "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
        "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Re: English Language

Originally posted by Seeker
          and even Giancarlo cannot really be told apart from a native speaker.
          You're kidding? Tell me you're kidding. It's classic hispano-pidgin, not the glorious tongue.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: English Language

Originally posted by Seeker
            Provost Harrison is very good
            I should bleeding hope so as I am English and of English descent Anyway, I don't know whether I should feel honoured being mentioned as my English being 'good' or insulted as my English is 'good for a foreigner'
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You still need to work on your pronunciation.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Honoured, Foreign English speakers use proper grammar and don't use slang. They speak the "King's English" most English speaking people use slang or speak American English (which is just an excuse for misproouncing Zed ).
                Last edited by Ozz; January 15, 2003, 17:55.

Comment

I well use slang.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

None of the foreigners I know speak "proper" English. I share a house at uni with a Frenchman and a Yemeni, and both of them are very competent at using, amongst other things, contractions, English expressions and, of course, swearing.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Innit.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Ah, but you have corrupted them to your evil ways

Comment

c'rupted 'em.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Not really boddie . I mean not in here. I have several British ppl in my SoFclan, and simply the way they talk to me is mind-boggling, the words are simple but first I have to figure out what they mean... I mean the sentences are sometimes very confusing!
                            (of course they are garbagemen or they work temporarily in a supermarket filling up the racks but they're still nice ppl though )

And btw Seeker, who are you teaching, I mean smarter students or...? Many ppl say Belgians know much languages (simply because we ourselves are so meaningless and tiny, and have to adapt to others and so we can't communicate in our own language), but in reality that only applies to people who become mathematicians and physicists etc later (or archaeologists in my case )... ask Joe Jackson in the street about his English and you will hear a funny story (well at least they will probably do even a little bit better than your taxi-driver English )
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz
                              Ah, but you have corrupted them to your evil ways
                              Maybe. Soon I'll have them walking around the house wearing socks too (I was just told by an Italian that I was clearly English because I don't wear shoes in the house ).
                              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

This is why it's easy to pull fit Koreans. If you use the right tone, you can say absolutely anything and they'll laugh. Same goes for most Asians actually.
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X