Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumping for myself.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• TUZLA AIR BASE, Bosnia-Herzigovina, (AFNS) -- Getting processed through the French Foreign Legion's equivalent of a military entrance station while on a rest and recuperation break isn't what most people have on their itinerary.

However, Staff Sgt. Scott Edwards -- attaining a goal that he set about 10 years ago -- started to do just that a couple of weeks ago in France.

His goal wasn't to enlist in the French Foreign Legion, but rather to become a member of the American Legion, Post No. 1. But, a large language barrier left him sitting down in front of a huge plate of clams instead, having his bag rifled through, and enlistment paperwork initiated.

Edwards started his journey after a train ride from Ramstein Air Base, Germany, to Paris. The heavy equipment operator from Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., said it has always been his goal to become a member of the American Legion, but it had to be Post No. 1.

"This means a lot to me," he said while holding his membership card. "It carries a certain amount of prestige."

Edwards said he has a step-uncle who spent 25 years in the Army and also holds a card proclaiming his membership to the original post. Seeing that, "It just stuck in my head," he said.

While the thought was in his mind, he didn't follow through until recently.

"I should have joined 10 years ago," he said, speaking of his 1984 to '88 assignment to Sembach AB, Germany,. But, he said he never got serious about becoming a member. "Shoulda', coulda', woulda'," he said of his procrastination.

His dawdling turned to motivation when he thought about taking a rest and recuperation, or R and R, break in Europe.

"I didn't even know we were eligible for R and R when I got here," said Edwards, who has been at Tuzla for almost three months.

Edwards didn't ride the rails on the fly; however, with all of his planning, he wasn't able to locate the address or phone number for the American Legion there. So, American Legion magazine in hand, he hit the streets of Paris. A few hours into his search, Edwards struck fool's gold. After a cabbie dropped him off near a building that sported the sign, "Legion, 200 meters," he thought he hit the real thing.

But that wasn't the case.

What appeared to be an efficient operation in helping potential members was actually the beginning process of entering the French Foreign Legion.

He said they looked through his bag, took his identification card and asked him to take a seat. About 40 minutes later, he was taken to another building and fed lunch -- "a heaping plate of cooked clams and fries." Edwards said he went with the flow because nobody spoke English, and once, again, they looked like they knew what they were doing.

After they ate, they went to another building and waited about a half-hour. Edwards was called out of the crowd, and the French Foreign Legion's mistake came to light. The man who called Edwards out of the crowd, Sgt. Frank Dempsey, spent more than a half-hour speaking three different languages, before getting the address to the American Legion.

After more than four hours, Edwards was on his way. Dempsey even insisted that his driver take Edwards to the American Legion.

"I tried to pay (Dempsey)," said Edwards, "but all he wanted was a postcard from Tuzla."

Finally, Edwards made it to the American Legion.

"They welcomed me with open arms," he said. He got the grand tour and the coveted membership card. He also walked away with the names and phone numbers of people who can help other potential members of Post No. 1.

While he didn't think it would be an easy feat getting the card, he didn't think it would be that difficult. However, "I was going to find this, come hell or high water," he said with a smile.

Anyone else who wants to become a member of Post No. 1 can contact Edwards at Tuzla by calling DSN 314-762-8044. Or, you can wait until you get to Paris and look it up in the phone book. A hint: It's listed under the "T's," for The American Legion.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Pekka, what was the problem with you immigrating to the US, i forgot?
        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Kramerman, Errr.. .... .. I forgot too

Well basically I still don't have a higher education degree, and therefore no occupation.. I'm still looking into going to University in there, but I'm having lots of problems finding enough sponsoring. I've been working that one out for so long I think I should give up, because it's not going anywhere.

Also, I think immigrating is not that easy? I'm pretty much broke as hell, I don't have a home there or money to get one, I don't have a green card to work for it, and I don't have that damn degree that would help me maybe get one. It's pretty much a mess. But don't take me wrong, that's my goal. I could join the army if I was permanent resident, but all those would require green cards and all that. If there are immigration workers here, I have something for you.. lots of dead presidents.. how does that sound?

So problem is I think I need a green card at first to put things going forward.. or maybe I could get myself under other status, like if I was persecuted for being white.. .
          One is always to marry American girl, but you know.. I'm doing my best I just can't keep this dream alive forever, I'm about to hit 60 some day and I have to get some action some day. I really wouldn't want to go to FFL, but that's always my last option. What a difference, to become American, or French..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
            Kramerman, Errr.. .... .. I forgot too

Well basically I still don't have a higher education degree, and therefore no occupation.. I'm still looking into going to University in there, but I'm having lots of problems finding enough sponsoring. I've been working that one out for so long I think I should give up, because it's not going anywhere.

Also, I think immigrating is not that easy? I'm pretty much broke as hell, I don't have a home there or money to get one, I don't have a green card to work for it, and I don't have that damn degree that would help me maybe get one. It's pretty much a mess. But don't take me wrong, that's my goal. I could join the army if I was permanent resident, but all those would require green cards and all that. If there are immigration workers here, I have something for you.. lots of dead presidents.. how does that sound?

So problem is I think I need a green card at first to put things going forward.. or maybe I could get myself under other status, like if I was persecuted for being white.. .
            One is always to marry American girl, but you know.. I'm doing my best I just can't keep this dream alive forever, I'm about to hit 60 some day and I have to get some action some day. I really wouldn't want to go to FFL, but that's always my last option. What a difference, to become American, or French..
            hi ,

Pekka , join the French Foreign Legion or come over to Israel , ...... two places where you are welcome and you dont have to worry anymore about red cards , yellow cards , orange cards , green cards , etc , .....
            two places where you get food , no matter if you have money or not , .....

so if you want action , .........

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Israel takes volunteers too? I'm not Jewish?
              In da butt.

Comment

Israel takes volunteers too? I'm not Jewish?
                hi ,

yep , ..... you dont have to be Jewish , ......

there are plenty of volunteer jobs in Israel , .....

actually what exactly is it that you are looking for , .......

huh , btw , they are still looking for de-miners in most parts of the world , ..... from bosnia to vietnam , from south to notrh africa , from central america to south america , .......

the UN has a wide range of jobs , going from X to Y , ....

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• I guess it's time to bring this baby back to life again!
                  In da butt.

Comment

• As a late response to Panag, I don't know much about mining.. I can put mines but that's it. I checked the UN jobs, but in most of the cases you need higher education degree (working on that one, going to entrance exams soon!), plus they don't let me fight.

So there was some discussion over this in other thread, so I decided to once again bump this one.
                    In da butt.

Comment

As a late response to Panag, I don't know much about mining.. I can put mines but that's it. I checked the UN jobs, but in most of the cases you need higher education degree (working on that one, going to entrance exams soon!), plus they don't let me fight.

So there was some discussion over this in other thread, so I decided to once again bump this one.
                      hi ,

nah , dont worry , they will teach ya , .....

if ya want to do a UN job on the lower level , try your local country rep from the UN , or try the UN office in Brussels , belgium , .....

vienna needs low education jobs all the time ( UN )

or you can try a local UN field office in a former war zone , .....

but your best bet would 9 out of 10 be the french foreign legion or Israel

have a nice day

Comment

• here's my baby, been too long!
                        In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                        X