How cool is this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cool is this!

A good friend of mine here in NYC whom I hadn't seen in about 3 months or so called me up today out of the blue to have lunch, saying he had big news. He sounded apprehensive about it, so I was worried something bad had happened, like he'd split up with his longtime boyfriend.

Well, turns out that the big news was that he had won a million dollars! I was floored. He's 25.

He won it playing some stupid TV game show, no less. So now he is seeking to invest some and perhaps buy a vacation home somewhere in the Poconos or in Vermont that he can rent out and get additional income from.

Now how cool is that?

And lunch was on him, of course.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Cool.
    How much does he get after tax?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Double post, see bellow.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's awesome. After taxes, I'd guess $600K Asher.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

A million dollars from a TV show... which one?

The first thing he needs is to hire a money manager for a couple of hours to get know the law and how best to keep most of that money.

Also: he might make more renting out a room he buys in a major metropolis, like NYC.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

sod the money manager, he could invest it a lose the lot. this is the guys one shot at a life on easy street, bank it and leave it there or buy property.

Comment

I don't want to say which one, due to privacy concerns.

Yeah, it's about $600,000 after taxes. I put him in touch with the financial planner my company uses for our 401(k) plans, as he is an excellent, level-headed advisor and a super nice guy to boot.

When I told the advisor my friend would be calling, he said "Great! Unless I'm drunk at the time, I'll be happy to talk to him!"
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                sod the money manager, he could invest it a lose the lot. this is the guys one shot at a life on easy street, bank it and leave it there or buy property.
                I doubt the money manager would have him invest any sizeable portion in stocks. It would likely go into low-risk, low-yield funds, CDs, etc. Plus, buying the vacation home would be an investment in and of itself.

The manager would make things easier for him, though.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That 's always a reassuring thing to hear from one's money manager.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

If only he'd won it in the UK...no tax
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Which gameshow was he on?

"Who Wants to be a Millionaire"?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Thats tres cool actually

i just hope he's not an *******.

i hate when money go to *******s

Comment

I'm not generally friends with *******s, thank you very much.

And Asher, I said I'm not sayin'!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

In Germany, lottery wins are also tax free.

Anyway, even $600K is a lot of money for a 25 years old out of a "normal" family (meaning: non-millionairs). He should invest it wisely. A house seems good. May be his own little enterprise, for a start.

Comment

He didn't win that money did he.

Who did he con?

Comment

Working...
                              X