No announcement yet.

Is Offensive War Ever Justified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What restraint? We've been bombing them almost daily for years. It's a friggan undeclared war going on there.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So declaration isn't much of a retrograde step?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Got me there.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Is Offensive War ever justified?

Yes.

When is it justified?

When you can convince more of the people out there than the other side can.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

When you can convince more of the people out there than the other side can.
            So, again, your position is that the morality of war is determined by a poll?

Laz,

The ceasefire was conditional.

It appears the conditions were breached.
            But the ceasefire came about as a result of immoral actions by the US and allies.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

now THAT'S realpolitk.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

So, again, your position is that the morality of war is determined by a poll?

Yes... all morality is determined, basically, by polls.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Yes... all morality is determined, basically, by polls.
                  So, in 1800, slavery was OK, but today, it magically isn't OK?
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes.

And not magically, but because of a change in opinion by the people. If you consider that magic, so be it.

Btw, your evidence that it was 'OK' in 1800 is that it was legal. Remember, laws are written down morallity.

Comment

Offensive, Aggresive war is never justified: which is why no one ever wages "aggresive" wars.

Pre-Emptive wars, int he face of an imminent threat are justifiable (note: the US has shown NO imminent threat from Iraq)

Defensive wars 1.0 (when someone invades you or an ally with which you have a defense pact) are always justified.

Defensive wars 2.0 (wars waged to defend the international system, with the expressed approval of international bodies[such as the first Gulf War]) are always justified.

Defensive wars 2.1 (wars waged in defense of others, when a pact does not exist, and the international community has not given tacit consent) can sometimes be justified, given the nature of the offense against the group one states they are helping.

While I agree with Imran on the changing nature of morality, the current systme is rigid enough so that for a war to be viewed as justified one has to play by the rules, no matter how powerfull (hence they way the US had to go to the UN).
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

While I agree with Imran on the changing nature of morality, the current systme is rigid enough so that for a war to be viewed as justified one has to play by the rules, no matter how powerfull (hence they way the US had to go to the UN).

Well, of course, these days, the morality of the system has rules. The system always has rules, but who is to say this system will not change? I mean look at 1903 compared to 2003. Who could have predicted the world (and the morality of war) would change so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

The ceasefire was conditional.

It appears the conditions were breached.

I think the restraint showed by the allied forces has been surprising.
                          Absolutely. It's not like they were given a chance, or two, or three, or on and on; until 11 years passed.
                          U.N. troops, to include American, were asked to contain Iraq.

This is way overdue. Some of you should have seen it as "Work In Process", beginning 9/11. It was stated. It was in queue.
                          You should have paid more attention to Bush and Blair, instead of making cute little remarks.
                          You could have been in Canada by now.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            What restraint? We've been bombing them almost daily for years. It's a friggan undeclared war going on there.
                            With few exceptions, bombs have only fallen from the planes enforcing the no-fly zones when they have been shot at by Iraqi anti-aircraft defenses. The no-fly zones, remember, are there to protect the kurdish minority in the north, and that other one that is in the south (cant recall the name).

Is Offensive War Ever Justified?
                            It depends. Many good examples and arguements have already been given.

Kman
                            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Conditions were breached? Thats the only reason people can come up with for war in Iraq here? I'm sorry if I don't see how not turning over or accounting for WMD that may or may not be there and we haven't been able to find any evidence for after 2 months of inspection is worth going to war for. And if the WMDs do exist it has already been demonstrated to us that they wouldn't be used during the first Gulf War.

War to liberate Kuwait was certainly justified, I see no justification for this one.

Comment

I agree with DF

(note: the US has shown NO imminent threat from Iraq)
                                I guess the rationale is that there are strategic interests and regional allies that are threatened, although these same folks seem to play down any imminent threat, and have even maintained diplomacy with Iraq in some instances. Go figure.

This is way overdue. Some of you should have seen it as "Work In Process", beginning 9/11. It was stated. It was in queue.

I dont wanna hear one peep out of you the next time two countries, say Pakistan and India, start throwing down for the same reasons the US is giving for war. One preemptive strike is no better or worse than any other, right?

"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X