Is Offensive War Ever Justified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have known better.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

War has always been mass murder wrote legit.

Imperialism was all about who you could beat up to gain what you wanted. War was just an extension of diplomacy in those days. Now attacking other countries for gain is most likely to have you labelled the international pariah and if you took a country with oil, you'll have the USA after you.

Comment

Northern states were indigenous states, while the Southern ones were created by and propped up by outsiders.
        On please. Che, you have got to be joking. The North wasn't "propped up by outsiders?" Nawwwww, Uncle Joe didn't have anything to do with it.

Edit: North Korea. I think you've got a point about Vietnam.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Me thinks you misunderstood me. I'm saying that in both cases, the war waged by the North against the South was justified, as the Northern states were indigenous states, while the Southern ones were created by and propped up by outsiders. Of course, after more than fifty years, today the DPRK would be unjustified in trying to overthrown the RoK, especially as the RoK has finally became semi-democratic.
          Is Taiwan justified in attacking China?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            On please. Che, you have got to be joking. North [Korea] wasn't "propped up by outsiders?" Nawwwww, Uncle Joe didn't have anything to do with it.
            Yes it was, but only after a proto-state had already been established throughout the entire country. The DPRK is the successor state to the proto-state. In the the US occupied zone, the proto-state was abolished and then massacred. A new state was created out of fascists and Japanese collaborators. Stalin supported and deformed the original state in Korea, which became the DPRK. If Korea had been left alone by outsiders, the whole country would have been the DPRK.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              Is Taiwan justified in attacking China?
              In 1949, yes. In 2003, no.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

oh.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

As I undestand it, Che, the proto-state was in the middle of a civil war when Soviet troops marched in from the north, and then US troops marched in to the South.

I agree that Korea would have been better off without outside meddling (that includes 1910-1945 Japanese colonization of course). However, that is unfortunately what happened - and I submit to you that SK is a much better place than NK, and that speaks volumes (and that is DESPITE the nasty military government they had in SK for decades).

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    When a nation commences in ethnic cleansing, an aggressive, offensive war is certainly justified by the international community.
                    *whacks the mole*
                    That is a "Police Action" not a offensive war.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      oh.
                      Before you bum out too severely, remember Che is giving his personal wannabe communist opinion.
                      It's not necessarily correct.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Before you bum out too severely, remember Che is giving his personal wannabe communist opinion.
                        It's not necessarily correct.
                        Yes it is.

Comment

While you're here, get those boots yet ?

Comment

If attacking a certain economic entity, because that country refuses to produce enough to satisfy structural weaknesses in the other agressor economy - or if there is simply not enough money funds to pay for resources from external sources, then the expansion of territory and taxbase is justified on short to midterm economic terms. In the long term the ignored structural weakness will only be excerbated and must be met by future expansion. However, I don't think a strategic blitzkrieg economy can fully function under the present circumstances.

Comment

I find it hard to picture you standing flat-footed while someone flattens your nose, David.
                              Sometimes the inevitable, is inevitable.
                              You strike back, whether your nose is mush or not.

He is asking if it's alright to flatten that nose first, if guy you are flattening is only talking trash about you, but not actually doing any harm to you.
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

And Iraq is not just talking. They're just not doing, what they were told to do to end the Gulf War, as I said.

Look at WWII, as another example.
                                Japan was to not have a military. They accepted the terms and had no military.
                                Iraq accepted terms, and promptly renigged.

Comment

Working...
                                X