No announcement yet.

C'mon Dems, come up with a Bush-beater!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The American left are dead in the water, at least for a good while yet.

Unless something goes disastrously wrong (and let's face it, it has to be really bad - voters don't seem to have noticed that the economy is already doing pathetically), Bush will win in 2004.

Hey, ya want a liberal-left government, move to Canada.

Comment

"voters don't seem to have noticed that the economy is already doing pathetically"

No, it's not.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
        Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        You have a strange definition of "a hell of a lot."
        Bush had more than one term, survived reelection, and was an executive position. That qualifies him as having more experience than Edwards.
        But the point was that Bush faced in his campaign opponents who were more experienced than him, and he still won. So obviously experience doesn't necessarily make or break a candidate.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's all about money and media manipulation anyway. Talent and qualifications don't matter. Just pick some white male with a pulse, give him $1 billion and slant the news in his favor, and you've got your "Democratic front runner."

Comment

No Democrat will win if they are too timid to challenge and question Bush on every detail of foreign and domestic policy. The next candidate, whoever they may be, has to be an absolute pitbull.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitDave
              The next candidate, whoever they may be, has to be an absolute pitbull.
              Another Hillary Clinton supporter...

Comment

Dress her up in some S and M regalia, and I think we have ourselves a winner.
                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Hillary Clinton -- maybe the most divisive public figure around.
                  John Kerry -- makes Al Gore seem like Robin Williams.
                  Howard Dean -- media darling, but can't win New Hampshire with Kerry in the race, so no MO, no money, and no nomination.
                  John Edwards -- thin resume, nice hair. Maybe in 2008.
                  Dick Gephardt -- favorite candidate of the unions and Barbra Streisand
                  Al Sharpton -- makes Jesse Jackson look rational; still needs to explain the Tawana Brawley incident (like that's possible)
                  Joe Lieberman -- the anti-(Bill) Clinton, but Clinton's not around any more; still probably his nomination to lose.
                  Last edited by MBD; January 8, 2003, 14:38.

Comment

Bush had more than one term, survived reelection, and was an executive position. That qualifies him as having more experience than Edwards.

Exactly. The executive thing helped immensly. If Edwards was the governor of NC, rather than a Senator....

But the point was that Bush faced in his campaign opponents who were more experienced than him, and he still won. So obviously experience doesn't necessarily make or break a candidate.

You are ignoring the point (maybe purposless). Bush won in a landslide during reelection, which made him the darling of the party (if he hadn't done reelection yet, the support for him would be much, much less). Also he ran against Senators and commentators. He was the only executive (other than Lamar Alexander, and he dropped out early). Being a Governor gives your a leg up... also even a SINGLE reelection helps. If Edwards was reelected in 2002, no doubt he'd be the front runner.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by HolyWarrior

Three words: Millionaire trial lawyer
                      What's wrong with that? Were you beaten by a trial lawyer as a kid. Most members of congress are lawyers.

The only people who can get noticed on the national stage are millionaires, unfortunately. We need free and equal TV time for all legitimate candidates and that will level the playing field. All cadidates would have an allotted amount of time for campaign ads.

I don't think Edwards will win the nomination, but he will get noticed and will probably have to face Hillary in 2008.
                      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                        Right now, I really like the NC senator John Edwards. He is a young man full of ideas,
                        and one of these dyas he might even share one with the rest of the world.

Historically speaking, the Dem's can only win the White House with Southerners, but Kerry, I think, is the liberals and centrists Great White Hope, so look for a Kerry-Edwards ticket in 2004.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Some thoughts:

Sen Edwards = Sen John Kennedy
                          Bush II = Bush I
                          It will be the economy again in 2004
                          Southern Democrat candidates break the Republican base
                          Edwards: A Democrat with charisma again! Wow!

Southern Democrat with charisma, double Wow!

and (me) Poly Sci major, as well...
                          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            Everyone seems to forget Howard Dean, which doesn't bode well for his candidacy. But he is the best I have seen so far.
                            I like him. Were the election today, and between Dean and Bush II, I would vote Dean. And the last Democrat I would have voted for was Truman.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dean...

H. Clinton (ahhhh the Clinton presidency was bad, but would be better than Bush until 2008)
                              Lieberman (the anti-CLinton? I hope so...)
                              Kerry/Edwards (I honestly have no idea what these guys stand for...)

I think the Dem's lost in 2000 because Al Gore is a bore. IMO, if the Dem's put in anyone else with a pulse, Bush will be gone just like daddy!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Edwards has made it quite clear...

"I'm running for the Presidency"

there will be no "Kerry-Edwards" ticket, according to him.
                                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X