No announcement yet.

Hindering internet spammers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are other ways to hinder internet spammers or fight junk e-mail?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Use client-side scripts to generate the e-mail addresses in not too straight-forward ways.
      Spambots usually spider the web, download the files and extract any something@something sequence or perhaps mailto: references or so.
      If you roll your addresses in javascript the e-mail won't show up plainly in the file so they'd need a script interpreter to get to the address.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Problem is that the spammers will complain that regulations are a violation of the 1st amendment. We kno who Bushy will side with

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
          Problem is that the spammers will complain that regulations are a violation of the 1st amendment. We kno who Bushy will side with
          The problem isn't if it's a 1st amendment right, the problem is the overwelming number of spam you get in your e-mail box(es) every day. You don't get that much in your snailmail box do you? About once or twice a week you get a telemarketer as well.

I don't mind advertisments in my e-mail, it's just that there are so many that I don't bother. In fact, I gave up on my ISP's e-mail adress, and to avoid getting charged extra for that spam in my mail box, I call them up and ask them to delete them all.

I use hotmail, set it high level spam filther and have it automaticly delete them. I got a handle on it now, but I still don't like it.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I've long suspected, for reasons that should be clear for all, that apolyton OT really is the Theresienstadt of the internet. This as we all are notorious spammers. One day our false sence of security will end in horror.

Comment

Did you know that even with your Hotmail spam filter on high you will still get spam? That's because MS raises money by selling privilaged accress to all of it's MSN & hotmail users. In other words if a spammer pays MS then MS will make sure the spam ends up in their users mailboxes. It let's them through the filter if they pay MS.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I have received no spam in my hotmail account unlike other people. I do not understand why, perhaps because I didn't click on any of the 'interests' things when starting the accounts.

Anyway, yeah, this should be duplicated as often as possible, just to give the spammers absolute headaches and hopefully make their task too difficult to bother with.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't think it will work. How much more work/cost is it for spammers to spam another 50/100 non-working email addresses, anyway? probably not much, by my estimation.

As for having a "please-take-me-off-this-spam-list type of thing, it's a *bad* idea to email a response saying you don't want to be getting the spam, as it will only verify for the spammer that your email address works. A better solution is using filtering software of some sort and avoiding displaying your email address in public online locations.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Well what is needed is for people to copy that script and post it all over the internet to trip the things up...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

HAHA!!!

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Well, you know that would be ... spam...

Comment

Well people wouldn't have to click on the link you know
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

An even better idea would be to get a free email account with someone other than hotmail!

www.fastmail.fm is a good one that I use, there are others equally as good too. Try one.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies

Ah, another thing to put on my list of Things To Do Once I Am Prime Minister...
                                No, you should solve the problem permanently by commissioning your double-0 agents to eliminate them with extreme prejudice. Say, that could be the basis of the next James Bond flick!
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X