• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hindering internet spammers.

Here's a quote from http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html

Anti-Spam!

What's This Page For?

The purpose of this page is to make it so that spammers who attempt to collect email addresses off the web through programs will not have real email addresses in their database, causing them trouble because they will have to clean out their list. This page has one hundred randomly generated email addresses (reload and new ones will appear). At the bottom of the page is a link to this page again, essentially reloading it for programs to collect more fake email addresses. Email collecting programs will be sent in an infinite loop by following the link at the bottom of the page and will get more and more fake email addresses stuck in their databases. This helps to place many invalid email addresses that won't help spammers (they will get more returned email and is our effort to FIGHT SPAM.

Do you folks think this will actually hinder the spammers?
    By listing this link will we be helping in the anti spammer effort? How do each of you fight spam in your e-mail boxes?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I thought this thread was about me. I'd hate to be banned from the internet.

Comment

So how long will it be before someone says this thread is spam? I wonder...

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It will probably work... until the person running the script notices that the same web address keeps getting loaded. Then they will just add the address to an ignore list, start the script again and go back to getting email addresses from the web.

Amusing, but about as effective at stopping spam as jamming coins in a payphone would be at stopping worldwide telecommunications.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

not if we put this on every web address in the world

Comment

An easier solution would be to not put your email address on the web.

Comment

I've been using hotmail so Microsoft has been whoring my e-mail to the highest bidder for years. That kind of irks me but it's free so I can't complain.

Comment

So spammers are now going to need a spamfilter to able to continiue sending spam mail for us to delete????
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Brilliant. I hope more people put this on their website.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns It will probably work... until the person running the script notices that the same web address keeps getting loaded. Then they will just add the address to an ignore list, start the script again and go back to getting email addresses from the web.
                      Getting put on their ignore list is still a victory of sorts isn't it? I wish someone would just pass a law banning unsolicited mass e-mails and be done with it.

Comment

It makes their lives harder (not to mention putting dozens/hundreds of false email addresses in their lists), so that is worth some effort. Not my effort thought.

Comment

Getting put on their ignore list is still a victory of sorts isn't it? I wish someone would just pass a law banning unsolicited mass e-mails and be done with it.
                          I could be wrong, but I think it allready is in some countries.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The thing is, it only takes one country to not have that law and then anyone can operate from that country legally despite it being illegal in every other country.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Ah, another thing to put on my list of Things To Do Once I Am Prime Minister...
                              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                              X