No announcement yet.

The Feminist Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You get told all the time that women can't handle machines and so forth as well as men and then you just think back for five freaking seconds to those classes in school with the sewing machines and you know it's just stereotypical crap"

Where did I say that women cannot operate machines? I've said that women tend to be more nimble in their actions ( that is that they tend to operate machines better )
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Of course women can use sewing machines. Women are put on this earth to sew things!! along with cooking, cleaning, and washing.

Comment

Az.: No I didn't say you said it. I was making a general statement based on personal experience.

As I said, you might not be a bigot for holding any of your views. However if we are frank and look at it all from a scientific point of view they are near impossible to test in reality. At least if you are to make a general statement about women as such not some kind of social constuction (and this can be changed).* A hypothesis about women or any other human group can't be made outside the context these groups are living in. It's thus almost impossible to say if any statistical significant difference is due to their physical nature or cultural and social behavior. Futhermore there's a need for solid theories to explain why that's often lacking. We have to remember this as we make statements about such tings. As I, as a complete amatuer, can't see that strong support for the hypothesis I go for the H0; there is no significant difference.

* I might point out that I'm a critic of most feminist theories and much postmodern humbojumbo in general but I do have to aknowledge that humans live in a society that affects them.

Comment

Originally posted by FemmeAdonis
          those who claim "I am more mature than you" are truly the more immature ones.
          How true, how true........
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

In that case I'm ten times more immature than the rest of you!

(that makes me more mature than you all, right?)

Comment

no

Comment

Bods,

Actually I agree with you here.

20 years ago I *would* say that women mature alot faster than men. However, I would say that today's girls, while usually on average are maturing faster than men, are getting into just as much trouble as the guys now. Alot of them are staying in that "party stage" well into their early 30s. Now that's all well and good, do what you want with your life, but if there is a kid involved, that's just messed up. (Not that daddy isn't equally as guilty of neglect here, just in the past the guys would go out and play but now the guys AND the women are BOTH out to lunch with their kids).

On another note, I think the original feminism is great, it's the "anti-men" breed of feminism that I have a problem with.

There is a great spoof on the Simpsons where they make fun of an Oprah-like show:

Oprah: "Today's subject: men"

Audience (in unision): "Booooooo!!!"
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Stop listening to conservatives and you won't hear about feminiests who bash men anymore. It's certainly not a mainstream feminist message. It would be like saying America used to have a great message, but since they all started talking like Jerry Falwell . . . .
                  Last edited by chequita guevara; January 2, 2003, 19:01.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Who says I'm listening to conservatives? The garbage I'm talking about is coming straight from the camel's/horse's/whatever's mouth.

You probably think I got that message from Rush Limbaugh and his "feminazi" ramblings. I haven't heard a word that man has said since 1992.

You know as well as I do the loudest bunch of them are also the most radical. If the mainstream has a more moderate stance then it certainly gets drowned out by the more proactive ones who spout out a message riddled with oppression, entitlement, and anti-males.

I don't think you understood what I initially, said, as I was being very specific to a specific branch of the feminists, and NOT throwing a blanket statement over all of them. We are really on the same page.

But I don't need to explain myself to you.
                    Last edited by Ted Striker; January 2, 2003, 19:13.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That's nothing compared to the Apolyton myth that things Nimrod says are worth arguing about...
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

I'm assuming you mean emotional maturity. IIRC, it's pretty much accepted that women mature physically, faster than men.

My observation is that up to age 23, women are more mature than equivalent-aged men, and at that age, the pendulum begins to swing towards men being more mature. But then, that's just based on observing people I know.
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I put it to you all that wasting time posting on Apolyton and playing computer games is an immature activity. The fact that so few women engage in it shows that they are more mature than us.

If you want maturity, Boddingtons, try becoming a dad. That certainly speeds up the process.
                          "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                          "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                          - Pekka

Comment

Nah, they just have a different version of wasting time and it's called shopping.

Comment

Don't ask me. I'm a Capricorn. We're famous for aging backwards. When I was young, I was very mature but now

Comment

Yes, I hate women too.

Can't defend it, won't defend it, I just hate the little *****es.
                                Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Working...
                                X