I can't believe this is happening in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tandeetaylor
    I'm sorry about the Nazi comment. Nazi Germany it is not, but oppressive and unfair it certainly is. And I did NOT call my countrymen nazis. ??
    It's neither oppressive nor unfair. As a libertarian (IIRC) you believe in sovereignty, right? Non-citizen's rights to enter or remain in the US are conditional.

My husband was illegal before I met him. I realize that that is his fault.
    That may be a problem, depending on how long.

I think we are going to talk to a lawyer. And we are going to go and register. I think that our friends will take care of us financially for a little while if he is detained. I think the hardest part will be thinking about where he is and what he might be going through.
    That's a little overboard. He'll be in some Federal detention, until an immigration hearing and bond is set, at the worst. Since he's legally married and a green card applicant, and would have come in voluntarily to register, odds are really high that he'd be released OR. (own recognizance, i.e. without bail)

Once he went to jail for about 16 hours because of failure to pay a ticket, and it was just horrible...
    It's not a picnic in the park, but it's not life-shattering either. Sounds to me like you're making waaaaaaaay too much of things.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• I have a two month old baby and the possibility of having my husband unable to work for an uncertain amount of time (he should be getting his work permission soon, btw). I don't think I'm making too much of anything. I can't just go and get a job and make enough to pay what we are paying now plus babysitting fees. I think that there are people that would help us, but I don't want to count on that, people have their own problems...

Tell me what's wrong with Lebanon. I just read about that American who was killed in November. I don't really want to move to Lebanon, we have a car loan and a lease, but I don't think I want to live in the US anymore.
      If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

• Lebanon has just been a festering ****hole of civil war, factional fighting, and fanaticism for a few decades, but they've more or less chilled out recently, for the time being, until something else comes along.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• MTG said the S word!

if you want to move to lebanon, well, good luck.

you could both go to britian and become citizens there, couldn't you? or some other not-so-war-torn country?
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• As far as I know the civil war ended a little over ten years ago, didn't it?
            If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

Tell me what's wrong with Lebanon.
              Terrorism, civil war, and fundimentalist Islam. There's no real government, which might fit in well with your libertarian beliefs, but you would find out real quick that power falls to those with the most guns. The modern amenities which you take for granted are pactically non-existant. We are talking about a country that has been in a civil war and foreign occupation for almost thirty years. It's no longer the modern society it once was.

Plus, you won't have any support network, and your husband will be under strong pressure to start acting "like a man" and put his wife "in her place." Lebanon isn't known for respecting women's rights.

America sucks in many ways, but at least it's founded on Enlightenment beliefs. If you wish to leave, move laterally or forwards, not backwards. This is like jumping out of the fridge into the fire.

If you want to be a pioneer for women's rights in Lebanon, I salute you. But if you have that kinda moxie, why not stay here and fight injustice at home?

On the other hand, the food in Lebanon is fantastic.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• "The INS needs serious overhaul. Remember this was the same group that issued all sorts of paperwork to the hijackers. My faith in their efficiency is very low."

I'll subscribe to that statement. However, I would note that the reason it's this way, is because the politics of immigration created it that way.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As far as I know the civil war ended a little over ten years ago, didn't it?
                  There are still skimishes and the country is still divided up amongst various warlords. The Christians are fascists and the Muslims either get their funding from Iran or from the Wahabists in the Gulf.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• IIRC, the US still has a travel advisory against going to Lebanon.

Comment

• I thought the Syrians were keeping things in order? That's not the case?
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Only in parts of the country. They never occupied the whole thing. IIRC, they've been pulling out of Lebanon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          I thought the Syrians were keeping things in order? That's not the case?
                          Order in Lebanon is a very relative term.

Comment

• PS, I'll kick in to ship Floyd to Khartoum.
                            Really? Well, I'll kick in to, well, kick you in the face.

And Khartoum is in Sudan, not Somalia, jackass
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It's neither oppressive nor unfair. As a libertarian (IIRC) you believe in sovereignty, right? Non-citizen's rights to enter or remain in the US are conditional.
                              Libertarians believe in open borders.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• tandeetaylor the more I hear of the details of your situation the less i think that you in trouble. I dont think they will deport him and if he can work in US i am pretty sure he can live here too.

As far as if he gets detained by INS, just try and come up with some sort of plan to make ends meat. Maybe move in with a friend if he gets detained. Who knows they might not hold him and everything will be ok.
                                Donate to the American Red Cross.
                                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Working...
                                X