Sodium, Sodium Everywhere! AUGH!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodium, Sodium Everywhere! AUGH!!!

Is it just me, or is it darn near impossible to avoid sodium in foods?

I just ate a meal and calculated the sodium intake at around 1,459 mg — that was for two ham sandwiches, one cup Cheerios w/1 percent milk, a banana and 9 baby carrots.

Sheesh!

It seems about the only way to avoid sodium is to turn into a vegetarian or eat only fruit, veggies and home-cook everything else. Yeah, right, like I have time for home-cooking all the time on top of everything else life demands on a daily basis from me.

I'd rather try to control blood pressure via exercise and medication if necessary. Heck, even the low-sodium soups are still fairly high in sodium and tasteless (except I did find one good brand that has taste *and* half the sodium content of the company's regular product).

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Salt is yummy .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's particularly bad in a lot of "low fat" foods, because in order to make up for the tasty goodness of fat, they stick in a bunch of salt.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Go vegetarian!
        You make my life and times
        A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

Mmmm. Salt.
          I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Sodium is everywhere.

Spray from ocean waves is picked up by the wind and quickly evaporates into tiny salt particles, which are the major 'seed' particles for rain drops.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There was a anti-NaCl -campaign in food, here in Finland few years ago.
              Surprised it hasn't hit there yet. Cutting down on meat would help a lot, for a start.

Comment

And they wonder why tens of millions of people in the United States alone have high blood pressure. Sodium has to play a significant role in that, IMHO.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

But it's GOOD!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I have to eat extra salt (and a pill) because I have addisons and my body doesn't retain the stuff. Salt tastes sooo good to me.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Recent studies show salt intalke is not nearly as harmful as previously thought. Don't worry about it.
                      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

eating a lot of potassium should help get rid of it , IIRC.
                        ( the K-Na-ATP-ase pump protein ).
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

hmm... ya good for you blood pressure... unless you're high already...
                          Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                          So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                          rocking on everest

Comment

Recent studies show salt intalke is not nearly as harmful as previously thought
                            There are few things what make these "recent studies" both stupid and senseless, you see
                            the only study which I remember saying that was:
                            (a) American study
                            (b) A study was generously sponsored by food industry chain.

...so...

Comment

Na is definetly bad, because the body has wayyy much more than it actually needs, due to the high concentration of Na on earth.

however, as I mentioned before, eating potassium triggers the K-Na-ATP-ase pump which pumps potassium from the blood stream, and sends Na(Sodium) out of the sell. This pump needs all three factors to function, and if we add more K (potassium) it would replace the Sodium more vigorously, and burn energy in the process.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X