The College Bowl Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnover on downs! An emotional lift for Iowa! :excited:

Now Iowa's offense just needs to score 3 more TDs in 10 minutes than they scored in the preceding 50 minutes
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Or, perhaps not...

3 for 3 stinkers

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I'm telling ya--

Ohio State will win tomorrow. 24-10.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Last nights game shows WHY we need a playoff. Iowa was a good team and was totally destroyed by USC! I bet USC could beat Miami if they played.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Check out the Strength of Schedule part of the BCS numbers. USC had the #1 toughest schedule in the country (and plays a tough schedule most years). The other BCS teams:

Miami: 19th
            Ohio State: 20
            Georgia: 5
            Iowa: 49
            WSU: 21
            Oklahoma: 14
            FSU: 3

It's a lot easer to go undefeated when you're not playing the best teams in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Last nights game shows WHY we need a playoff. Iowa was a good team and was totally destroyed by USC! I bet USC could beat Miami if they played.
              Think Miami could beat Washington State? USC couldn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Grr...we'd have won if we had a decent placekicker that could make PATs.

I'd like to whack him upside the head except (1) I live 1500 miles from Los Angeles now and (2) even a placekicker would have no problems beating me senseless.

Comment

USC can beat them now, I have no doubt.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

USC can beat them now, I have no doubt.
                    Unfortunately for USC, they had their chance and failed (And also against Kansas). If you let USC play Miami, both WSU and Kansas have a legit argument that they too should be in the title game, since they beat USC. And the debate goes on forever....

Yes, USC played very well from October 4-Jan 2. You could probably find a few teams that, if you picked a different time period, also played very well. Miami's played well for 3 years and when they crush OSU... well... end of argument, realistically.

Comment

Yet Kansas is not 10-2 and WSU lost it's bowl game, though I would have let WSU in a playoff as well. The fact is USC is playing the best football of anyone else, and the fact that there is NO playoff is a travesty.

If there was a playoff USC would be the national champion, because they are the best team.

Comment

Yet Kansas is not 10-2 and WSU lost it's bowl game, though I would have let WSU in a playoff as well. The fact is USC is playing the best football of anyone else, and the fact that there is NO playoff is a travesty.

If there was a playoff USC would be the national champion, because they are the best team.
                        Then why did they lose twice?

If you're saying USC is the best team right now, they may well be. But if you're judging a team by it's last game... technically every team that won its Bowl could make the same argument (NC State, Oklahoma, Georgia all won Bowls, and won as many games as USC).

Or perhaps we could call USC the champions of November and December? But then, this is called the 2002 season...

Comment

Plus... isn't the rest of the PAC-10 1-4 in bowl games? I proclaim the PAC-10 a patsy conference!

Comment

USC had the toughest schedule in the country, by FAR. Let's see Miami take on that schedule. Or even Ohio State, and they only lost two.

USC is the best team out there. And yes, Oklahoma and Georgia ALSO have a valid argument for the title game. That is the problem. They should all be in the running, but the idocy of the BCS prevents it.

--

I bet if you were running the NFL, the Eagles would be named champions by now. And New England wouldn't even be allowed near the 'final game' last year.

Comment

USC had the toughest schedule in the country, by FAR.
                              I know they were #1 in strength of schedule... but exactly how much harder was that schedule than, say, OSUs, on a percentage basis? 20th hardest out of 100 or so, versus 1st hardest out of 100... that could be 3-5% harder for all I've seen here.

Let's see Miami take on that schedule. Or even Ohio State, and they only lost two.

You can only win the games you play. Miami's won the last 34... I suspect they'd rise to the occasion.

USC is the best team out there. And yes, Oklahoma and Georgia ALSO have a valid argument for the title game. That is the problem. They should all be in the running, but the idocy of the BCS prevents it.
                              That's BAMing. Maybe Iowa was overrated. ND certainly was. Outside of those 2 teams, USC didn't beat anyone ranked in thetop 25 since losing to Wash State...

Comment

I bet if you were running the NFL, the Eagles would be named champions by now. And New England wouldn't even be allowed near the 'final game' last year.
                                Nice quick edit.

The NCAA isn't the NFL. And if you go back to all those BCS threads (since I don't want to go through all that again), you'll see that I advocated a NCAA playoff in circumstances where there was no clear-cut #1 and #2 teams. This year, that isn't the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X