Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I struggle to remember that the ABs actually lost that game.

They still don't have a Wilko though. They may have a Jonno - I think Jack might reach that height.

(with apologies to Caligastia - I'm not setting out to wind him up honest, I just think Larkham and Wilko get in my squad before mehrts anyday)

I'll pick up the other bits in your post later but I thought you kight like this - in Killarney last week I spent an hour arguing with a Kerry solicitor (in a pub naturally) about the relative merits of John Eales and Mr J. he backed Eales of course - not for his qualities as a player, great as they were, but for his lack of red mist issues.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
      Sometimes I struggle to remember that the ABs actually lost that game.
      Along with a few other things. Like playing at home at full strength and struggling against second-string All Blacks and undermanned, out-of-form Wallabies!

They still don't have a Wilko though. They may have a Jonno - I think Jack might reach that height.
      They don't have a Wilko. No one else does. Jack might reach the heights. We'll see.

(with apologies to Caligastia - I'm not setting out to wind him up honest, I just think Larkham and Wilko get in my squad before mehrts anyday)
      Me too, without apologies. I've said it before - he's a great tactical kicker. The rest of his game, by comparison with the other two, varies between inadequate (his defence) and good (the rest of his game apart from his kicking). And by good, I mean at least half a class below the other two. Enough said about his mouth.

I'll pick up the other bits in your post later but I thought you kight like this - in Killarney last week I spent an hour arguing with a Kerry solicitor (in a pub naturally) about the relative merits of John Eales and Mr J. he backed Eales of course - not for his qualities as a player, great as they were, but for his lack of red mist issues.
      That will always be a fundamental difference between them. And an important one. In fact, here, for a long time, it was thought that Eales lacked the "mongrel" that everyone thought it took to be a great lock and team leader. He was far from an acclaimed choice when he was first appointed. His character won out.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Added to which, Australia and New Zealand are both achingly dull, self-absorbed backwaters, and, in the case of Australia anyway, anti-intellectual. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't necessarily say "achingly dull", but there are definitely fewer economic opportunities. Nowhere is dull if you have enough money, that's why Mrs Caligastia and I plan to retire in NZ.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Is it a short or long term plan?
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Putting up with me, she'd have to be a saint.

You cannot beat a bit of healthy self mickey taking.

it looks like the trip will have to be December.
            Tricky timing – European cup rounds take place then and getting home tickets will not be easy (unless it is a Welsh side visiting)

*finbar regrets the years of psychotherapy undertaken to expunge the memory of the taste of Bitter*
            Bitter = Ambrosia.

Jonah's try - the so-called controversial one - saw the England defence all over the shop.
            The one where Wilko slipped and left the gap in the pattern?

Your memory is almost certainly clearer as you say though.

Like playing at home at full strength and struggling against second-string All Blacks and undermanned, out-of-form Wallabies!

Let me suggest every SH side that ever loses always has an excuse along those lines.

Bottom line = England 3 Cream of the SH Nil

I hope you appreciate how nicely I am setting things up for the six nations and RWC?

Yes I won’t keep on about Mehrts mouth. But talking of mouths has it been reported down under that Austin is targeting scrum half for his England future? He is actually out injured until at least early march, the lad is having a terrible season for injury as it happens and has worn club colours very little. The lad has character issues I may not like but I’ll tell you this – Tigers miss him. His skill and pace in mid-field would be a real boon right now, especially if we got him at scrummy rather than ten (okay technically not mid-field as such but with Austin it would be).

I’ll be watching Jack in the new S12 season. What little I have seen of him was very promising.

Eales was a great player – no two ways about it. I would always pick Jonno slightly before him because I favoured mongrels as my locks. If it all kicks off I don’t want a tree hugger offering round the pipe of piece.

I think it is sad he retired so young (body done in?) and I still regret that we never saw them pull on a Barbarians shirt together.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Well... this makes 500 posts.

Time for Caligastia to start a new one...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
              X