This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - Last Feet!

That last thread filled up pretty damn fast.

Merry Christmas rugby fans!
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Originally posted by finbar

There are 2 votes - Tamerlin's and mine - for Rugby - Last Feet!.

Frankly, I'd prefer Rugby - Is The Sentiment Reciprocated? Does J**** Think The Sun Shines Out Of Havak's A*sehole? but it's probably too long to fit into the thread topic line.
    Not to mention too many asterisks!

Also Rah would probably mistake it for spam and delete it.

Originally posted by Tamerlin
    Stay here at night, Finbar is at its best when Havak is away from its computer and can't answer.
    You make them sound like spam robots!

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia You make them sound like spam robots!
      No they sound like bickering old friends that will both pounce at you if you try to intervene.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin-
        It just sounds funny when you refer to them as "it".

I would like to welcome Mandarin and Vulture to the thread. We need more South African viewpoints on here, and I'm sure Finbar will enjoy the company of another glaaawwws fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
          Tamerlin-
          It just sounds funny when you refer to them as "it".
          Oooops ! Sorry Finbar, I won't do it again, if not intentionally.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin, to answer from last thread, I don't think people in France dislike the Stade Toulousain. That some were happy to see the Stade lose the championship is certain, but I think that comes mostly from the fear that all other clubs are no longer at the same level. When you see how low have fallen clubs like Beziers, or, worse, Lourdes, which, with the Stade, are the greatest clubs in our history, it is a bit worrying. The only alternative to Toulouse in the recent years was the Stade Francais, which, being parisian and, in big part, a "made-up" club, is not very popular. Thus all people in southwestern France were probably bothered that their favourite club would never be able to beat either Stade.
            I do believe, however, that there is a big respect for the Stade from all the French who like rugby, if only because it provided so many great players to the XV de France (and even though many who would have deserved the jersey never got to wear it).
            Teams like Toulon or Auch, for their harsh play, are probably liked a lot less than Toulouse (though Toulon used to be a great team too ).

Anyway, it was nice to see Toulouse squash Edimburg last sunday
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

league > union
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                Tamerlin, to answer from last thread, I don't think people in France dislike the Stade Toulousain. That some were happy to see the Stade lose the championship is certain, but I think that comes mostly from the fear that all other clubs are no longer at the same level.
                Yes, you are right this is not a real dislike but a legitimate wish to have a part of the cake when you are a supporter. When you go to Paris you want your team to win. I have seen four finals live (all won by the Stade, two in the Parc des princes and two in the Stade de France) and the supporters were all good natured in spite of the result. This is Rugby !

Anyway, it was nice to see Toulouse squash Edimburg last sunday
                Yes it was a pleasant game though it would have been better with a stronger opposition. I was at the Ernest Wallon Stadium (formerly Stade des Sept Deniers) and someone who has seen the game on TV told me that the referee was always hilarious as if he had smoked something.

Comment

Don't you think the price is high for a quiet week ? You had a big fiesta scheduled and didn't want your wife to hang around teasing you each time you ordered a drink ?
                  I was working! That's what makes me so angry!

But she has seen Toulouse, the beacon of southern France.
                  I saw it before she did! I was first there in 1979!

When we are really hungry we say : "J'ai l'estomac dans les talons" or J'ai tellement faim que je mangerais n'importe quoi."

Tr : "I have the stomach in the heels" or "I'am so hungry I would eat anything."
                  "I'm so hungry I would eat anything" is pretty much the same as "I could eat a horse and chase the rider". Our version is just a bit more specific.

Re thirst: I'm as dry as a dead dingoe's donger.

I don't remember any equivalent sentence in France.
                  We usually say our throat is dry, if metropolitan France had a hot desert area I guess we would have something like your popular sentence.
                  I have assumed, of course, that you know what "donger" is a euphemism for.
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Re: Rugby - Last Feet!

That last thread filled up pretty damn fast.
                    How many rugby threads is this now? Apart from the Coffee Shop threads, we must just about hold the record for the most continuous threads?

Merry Christmas rugby fans!
                    Ditto!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                      Oooops ! Sorry Finbar, I won't do it again, if not intentionally.
                      I forgive you! But only because you're gifting us your spare room for an indefinite period!

BTW, one more small grammatical correction. You often type "I'am" when, I think, you're abbreviating "I am". For the abbreviation, it's just "I'm". You lose the "a".

Comment

and I'm sure Finbar will enjoy the company of another glaaawwws fan.
                        Talk about an early, unexpected Christmas present! And, even better, vulture is Welsh! Havak must have machinegunned a whole heap of black cats!

Comment

Re: Re: Rugby - Last Feet!

How many rugby threads is this now? Apart from the Coffee Shop threads, we must just about hold the record for the most continuous threads?
                          We must.

I also wonder when the first in the line of continuous threads was started. Before that I would start one on the odd occasion, but they never got anywhere near full.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Rugby - Last Feet!

We must.

I also wonder when the first in the line of continuous threads was started. Before that I would start one on the odd occasion, but they never got anywhere near full.
                            I just did a quick trawl through the OT backlog and archives - okay, so call me easily amused! - and the results are terrifying. If Mrs finbar ever sees these results, she'll burn my computer!

Our continuous thread history started on June 4, 2002, with a thread simply called Rugby. Caligastia started it because there was another thread - I forget the name of it - which had turned, by default, into our blathering about rugby, thus he created the first bona fide Rugby thread.

The Rugby thread was followed, in turn, by:

July 12, 2002 - Rugby - The Beautiful Game.

August 7, 2002 - Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven.

Sep 7, 2002 - Rugby - Who? Me, Sir? Offside?.

Oct 19, 2002 - Rugby - The Ball's Out!.

Nov 18, 2002 - Rugby - One Game To Rule Them All.

Followed, of course, by this current thread.

Now for the truly terrifying statistic. Not counting the posts in the original (non-rugby) thread that inspired the first dedicated rugby thread called Rugby, and not counting the posts in this thread, we have accumulated a grand total of -

posts on the topic of rugby between us.

The first person to suggest that any of us need to get a life can go to buggery!

Comment

I saw it before she did! I was first there in 1979!
                              Were you dressed like Bon Scott at this time ?

I have assumed, of course, that you know what "donger" is a euphemism for.
                              I think I have figured out and I won't expend on the subject as we are an educated people in France and don't talk about this kind of thing in front of foreigners.

Comment

Working...
                              X