No announcement yet.

A.I. (The Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The movie fails, though, in the sense that it fails to enlighten its audience on how to improve themselves.

Man is just simply doomed to destroy itself? Well, F-off Spielberg; I think man does have a hope, and its not in its machines.

Comment

Note that A.I. is far more a Kubrick film than Spielberg...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
        There is one whole in his argument: (although I often find myself agreeing with the writer otherwise) " The beings that extracted David from the ice were not aliens, as some have believed. They were mecha of a highly evolved sort."
        Where is the proof of this??? How could anyone watching this movie POSSIBLY figure this out unaided???
        How could anyone possibly believe they're anything but highly advanced mechas? We're never given any hints about any alien race at all in the movie - but several about the advances in human technology. E.x.: Remember the scene with all those old mechas fitting themselves with new parts from trash? Contrast that to when you first see David. It's quite obvious that as technology has changed, the look of the mechas has changed - and is quite possibly still going to change.

Well of course the evolved mecha theory makes sense… but the director can't expect the audience to make the same leap that he does…
        And it would've helped if you're evolved Mechas didn't look like "Grays", spielberg!
        It's definitely a smaller leap to believe the beings are mechas than to believe they're aliens...
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

But they looked like aliens.

Comment

exactly… and to a hasty audience, that's what matters…
            perhaps what that says is that to us, that kind of an adnvanced machine is totally alien to us…
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Yes yes, David, most people did hate it.

Most people are bright enough not to post in a thread about a movie they hate, also.
              I hated it

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It must have been unsettling to find him attractive like that.
                I'm not devilmunchkin. I don't go for the lost little boy look.
                Last edited by TCO; December 15, 2002, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  Yeah, and it didn't fix the ending for me. It's a convenient explanation, but I doubt it was the original intent. It certainly did not convey to the audience, which means it failed.

They could have left him at the bottom of the ocean, ended it there and I'd have been reasonably happy with it.
                  I have to agree. Had it ended at the point where David was praying to the Blue Fairy, it wouldhave been the best film Spielberg had made in ages.

OTOH, I've always assumed that that was where the Kubrick film would have ended; dragging it out pointlessly so that the audience didn't have to leave on a down note is much more the Spielberg touch.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

At the ending didn't the evolved mecha actually come out and explain what they were?

Personally I loved the movie. I was quite comfortable with the ending, though I didn't interpret the ending as the evolved mecha having euthanized him, but instead that he had finally achieved his goal of becoming human by becoming able to dream. Perhaps one problem with the movie is that at times it failed to adequately explain itself, but I wonder whose explanation was the "euthanasia" explanation. Unless it was Spielberg's or Kubrik's it's merely a suggestion.

I thought the "Flesh Farie" sequence was weak because it featured the humans abusing the robots with anachronistic tools: hot air balloons, motor bikes, carnival "human" canons" and a twisted sort of "dunk the clown" game. It was almost as if Spielberg were making the statement that even the good old county faire was an example of human cruelty. He should have chosen tools that would have fit the futuristic setting.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Note that A.I. is far more a Kubrick film than Spielberg...

Exactly... and we all know Kubrick was a little wierd .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Put me down for another vote for THIS MOVIE SUCKS. It had five seconds of brilliance when David freaks and kills the other little David android. Other than that, the movie is a boring, sappy, and just plain stupid film... regardless of how successful it was at portraying its theme.
                        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

It would have been better if it had a bleaker ending, like if it ended when he gave up and just fell into the water in the ruins of NYC or something.

Comment

So what you're all saying is that what the movie really needed was a bit more of the good ol' Ultra-Violence eh? How about if they had given David a nice cane and had him "singing in the rain" in Doctor Hobby's workshop?

Maybe they should have gotten Steve Siegel or Vin Diesel to play David.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                              There is one whole in his argument: (although I often find myself agreeing with the writer otherwise) " The beings that extracted David from the ice were not aliens, as some have believed. They were mecha of a highly evolved sort."
                              Where is the proof of this??? How could anyone watching this movie POSSIBLY figure this out unaided???
                              It was indirectly mentioned in passing by one of the mecha/aliens.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Oh right, suuuurrrree...
                                I think a lot of people-- particularly a lot of Slashdotters-- were offended by what they perceived as a "happily ever after" ending. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I laughed out loud when they made a cake with his "mom" in the end. The ending was the most crap in a Spielberg movie I have ever seen. The movie was sad, the ending was not, no matter what the deluded writer tries to say.
                                Also notice how he found the theme of this movie from one scene, how brilliant, I thought the theme was displayed all the time in the movie...

It does not mean that when deeper analysis is made it makes the movie any better, specially when it doesn't even hold water

Btw, didn't they mention they were aliens in the movie? Or do I remember wrong? They certainly were the most stereotype looking aliens, so I guess if they were mechas it was an accident to make them look like aliens?

Comment

Working...
                                X